Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Mythweavers is "Protesting" for 24 hours Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:05 am
Suicidesoldier#1
Mongooseh
Suicidesoldier#1
Mongooseh
Suicidesoldier#1
Rain Yupa
Also, I don't condemn, but condone, this action. It brings awareness to a community which will be affected, a community which might contain some individuals who are still oblivious or ignorant of what SOPA/PIPA means for them and their future.

I hope this inspires more sites, and more POWERFUL sites, to emulate such actions, in all honesty.

THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED BY SOPA

No, you're idiotic for thinking what they're doing is idiotic. It is creating awareness by showing what could happen to websites such as myth-weavers if SOPA passes. So that for any who were ignorant of SOPA or apathetic about SOPA get a taste of what SOPA would be like if they do not take action themselves and vote against the bill.

Also put your last post in quotes what you have quoted or I'll become very upset and claim plagiarism. Then refer to that you think everyone on here is "stupid kids."

Excuse me while I go visit myth-weavers.

Hold on... I can't access it but there is all this helpful information to...

RAISE AWARENESS

...about SOPA/PIPA my god by suicidesoldiers standards I should just ignore all of this and cry about not being able to access their website. Despite if I don't do anything about SOPA/PIPA I might never get to use this website again.

Sorry but I think you assume too many people are illiterate.

WHY? Wouldn't they stop and read why their chosen online character sheet site is down?

Why? Do you think they would pay more attention to adverts which look like adverts (which people ignore) than they would making the character they are currently working on.

You seem personally stricken by the fact myth weavers is down.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:05 am
Rain Yupa
Invasive perhaps, but not destructive.

Wikipedia is doing this as "invasively" as MythWeavers is. I kind of wish ALL sites took measures similar to MythWeavers and Wikipedia. I'd like to see most of the internet's busiest areas shut down for a day, just to see how it cripples everything.

I'd much rather get a taste of what's in store now so I'd be more willing to fight against it, than to wait for the bills to pass and then be helpless to do anything about it.

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:08 am
Mongooseh
Suicidesoldier#1
Mongooseh
Suicidesoldier#1
Mongooseh

No, you're idiotic for thinking what they're doing is idiotic. It is creating awareness by showing what could happen to websites such as myth-weavers if SOPA passes. So that for any who were ignorant of SOPA or apathetic about SOPA get a taste of what SOPA would be like if they do not take action themselves and vote against the bill.

Also put your last post in quotes what you have quoted or I'll become very upset and claim plagiarism. Then refer to that you think everyone on here is "stupid kids."

RAISE AWARENESS

...about SOPA/PIPA my god by suicidesoldiers standards I should just ignore all of this and cry about not being able to access their website. Despite if I don't do anything about SOPA/PIPA I might never get to use this website again.

WHY? Wouldn't they stop and read why their chosen online character sheet site is down?

Why? Do you think they would pay more attention to adverts which look like adverts (which people ignore) than they would making the character they are currently working on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:11 am
Suicidesoldier#1
Mongooseh
Suicidesoldier#1
Mongooseh
Suicidesoldier#1
Mongooseh

RAISE AWARENESS

Then YOU are part of the problem.

You sat down and whined because their SITE (IT'S SPELT S I T E GODDAMMIT) is down.

You are currently doing no better than them.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:13 am
Suicidesoldier#1

Suicidesoldier#1

Suicidesoldier#1

EDIT: Hah, Mongooseh beat me to it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:13 am
Mongooseh
Suicidesoldier#1
Mongooseh
Suicidesoldier#1
Mongooseh

RAISE AWARENESS

Then YOU are part of the problem.

You sat down and whined because their SITE (IT'S SPELT S I T E GODDAMMIT) is down.

You are currently doing no better than them.

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 am
Then shutting down their website for 24 hours in hopes that people will read the information about SOPA. Is worse than letting peoples ignorance set in and let it slide.

Then showing what the American government wishes to be able to do what myth-weavers and other such websites have done to themselves in display of protest is wrong?

It is their right to protest in such ways.

You're so mad about myth-weavers going down? Let me inform you of something MORE infuriating to me.

I am a english national. I live, breathe, sleep and roleplay in england. If SOPA passes a lot of the websites I browse and entertain myself with WILL go down.

What can I do about it? NOTHING.

Why? Because it is an american law and that means my voice will not be heard by america's government so I have to wait in hopes that american citizens will get their s**t together and vote against it.

BUT you wish for a more passive style of protest which is more likely to be ignored by your average person.

I FULLY endorse the method of protest wikipedia and myth-weavers have taken since it is a more ACTIVE way of gaining awareness and people against it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:32 am
As a semi-related topic, the latest Announcement on Gaia mentions SOPA, and has information as to what it would mean to you.

Here's a handy link for those who want direct access.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:36 am
Rain Yupa
As a semi-related topic, the latest Announcement on Gaia mentions SOPA, and has information as to what it would mean to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:35 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
Rain Yupa

Actually, I have to say, if anything Gaia's way of doing this provides LESS notice. It's easy enough to ignore, like most other banner things Gaia does. You cannot simply pretend nothing is happening if you can't access a site, however. I'm a little annoyed that I can't access these sights, but oh well. None of it was dire, and I can find the information other places to. The one exception being Myth-Weavers. Better to shut down temporarily to raise awareness and be able to come back than ignore the problem and get permanently shut down. And to say they shut down for 'no reason' is ignorant at best.

Anyways, the bitching and moaning is accomplishing even less than these protests. At least the anti SOPA/PIPA stuff is a common goal, for the good of all. This is comes across as complaining simply to be heard. No offense intended.  

RafeRavel

Dangerous Survivor

6,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Cute Things In Jars

Anxious Poster

10,675 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:55 pm
So like....this is really chafing me...
Why should I, as a citizen of the United Kingdom, be a victim of something the United States passes? The government officials are so bought out that all they are concerned about it profits. People have lost all connection with making music or movies for people to enjoy, and the rest of the world is suffering for the greed of a small few.

All I want to do is browse the interwebs in peace....  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:59 pm
Snuffins
So like....this is really chafing me...
Why should I, as a citizen of the United Kingdom, be a victim of something the United States passes? The government officials are so bought out that all they are concerned about it profits. People have lost all connection with making music or movies for people to enjoy, and the rest of the world is suffering for the greed of a small few.

All I want to do is browse the interwebs in peace....

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:04 pm
RafeRavel
Suicidesoldier#1
Rain Yupa

Actually, I have to say, if anything Gaia's way of doing this provides LESS notice. It's easy enough to ignore, like most other banner things Gaia does. You cannot simply pretend nothing is happening if you can't access a site, however. I'm a little annoyed that I can't access these sights, but oh well. None of it was dire, and I can find the information other places to. The one exception being Myth-Weavers. Better to shut down temporarily to raise awareness and be able to come back than ignore the problem and get permanently shut down. And to say they shut down for 'no reason' is ignorant at best.

Anyways, the bitching and moaning is accomplishing even less than these protests. At least the anti SOPA/PIPA stuff is a common goal, for the good of all. This is comes across as complaining simply to be heard. No offense intended.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:04 pm
Tone it down a little guys, it's just getting a wee bit too hostile, eh? smile

Anyway, this is raising awareness for SOPA and is seems to be doing exactly what these sites set out to do. How can I say this with such certainty?

Go pop on over Gizmodo. Actually, let me type the link...

m.gizmodo.com/5877219/sopa-outrage-is-breaking-the-senates-websites

So although you may not be reading these outage messages, many, many other people are and they are flocking to these websites in numbers that are slowing them to dial-up speeds or outright taking the entire sites offline.

In the days even leading up today, I don't remember anything like this having happened. It wasn't until these sites became available that such numbers were hitting the contact pages of the senate websites.

Just thought I'd toss that link out there, mostly.

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:27 pm
No one is agreeing with you suicidesoldier. You seem a bit personally offended by myth-weavers going down. If you really need a sheet hoster try the tangled web.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff