Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Ephemeral Skies (3.5; Recruiting) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Anatarei Crimsonthrone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:53 pm
I've got a great idea for a pirate-y character that I'll whip up for this. Any chance that I could take the Whirling Frenzy variant from Unearthed Arcana and the d20SRD?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:47 pm
I could easily build a psychic warrior/swordsage, but I can see the value of a healybob Dragon Shaman/crusader

I've already run a duskblade/warblade before, which works quite nicely.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Alzzak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:47 pm
I would like to try, though,

I was originally thinking was a fighter/ranger or Bard/Sorcerer. Fighter/Ranger to try and fill the idea of the original marines, marksmen that mastered in ship to ship ranged fighting(their targets would normally be officers)
And the Bard/Sorcerer for moral support and mass destruction.

I would also like to try, a Barbarian/fighter.

If no then, could we remove the monk alignment requirement? I can also go with a monk/cleric for healing martial art support  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:58 pm
I could try to make a Ranger/Rogue that infiltrates other ships somehow and proceeds to screw a lot of stuff up. Personally, I just never played a Monk before, so I wouldn't know how to play one well enough. Maybe get an animal companion that he can ride to get over the distance?  

Mushkiller

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:26 pm
and no thoughts on my idea of swashbuckler//swordsage?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:36 pm
Warblade is a better match for swashbuckler. I don't have CW, but Swashes benefit from a good intelligence bonus, right? Warblades like int too, but Swordsages need a good wisdom.

Diamond Mind is also a classic fencer discipline, focusing on precision  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:32 pm
Well, my thought was Swordsage cause it got that AC bonus in light/no armor, which would be useful.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:08 am
Useful and reliant on a high wisdom score. I thought the idea was that a swashbuckler was supposed to rely on his dodge bonus, combat expertise, and fighting defensively. If you can get that magical 18 Dex, which you can by level 6 especially if you're an elf or halfling, there's no better armor than a chain shirt.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:25 am
Disciple of Sakura
Eternality_Cannon
Not trying to nitpick, but... Why are we required to go Monk/Martial Artist of some type? I'm fine with whatever, but I've had this crazy-awesome Druid/Ranger in the works for days, and I was really wanting to take her for a test drive, you know? It's your call as DM, but... Please?

Mostly, I want the game to be one of high adventure and swashbucklery action, and Tome of Battle is perfect for that. The reason I threw Monk into the mix is for those who don't have Book of 9 Swords.

What kind of high flying swashbucklery action does your ranger/druid actually have? If you can sell me on it, I might allow it.

Well, I'd be using a plethora of variants found in UA and CW for starters. With the Fast Movement of the Barbarian AND the Monk using the two druid variants in UA, I'd be running around in a blur. Add to that the whirling frenzy rage variant (the druidic avenger gets rage, so I'd be using that), and you've got a basic twister of natural fury. I'd also be granted the ranger's track feat at first level, which makes me a good navigator. Now, for the ranger, I'm using another variant that grants him the wildshape ability of the druid in exchange for his combat style. After that, I decided to use the aspect of nature variant (so, now instead of some fluffy ball of brutality, I develop scary natural weapons) on said wild shape. So, now I can swing from the rigging of the ship, spinning like crazy, armed with mother nature's weapons and a few of my own.

I also chose to spend my cash on mundane gear only, which I took from the Arms and Equipment Guide. This lets me pull all kinds of vin diesel worthy stunts (grappling ladder from the keel, for instance). If you're not allowing AaE, I'll get rid of that part.

Finally, I wanted to shift around the technically "martial" weapons (I'm using more primitive weapons, the rules of which were outlined in CW). In exchange for crossbow and bow suckage, I treat bolas, boomerangs, blowguns, and nets as martial. So, ranger gives me those. So, now I'm using exotic weaponry and going into a whirlwind of brutality.

I'd be using the Jungle Halfling race, another variant presented in UA. Lighter weight= crazier stunts, plus I get to use the shortbow again, and I have poison use.

In short, I'm a pint-sized, fast-moving, can of whoop-a**.

Has my rant made a convincing argument?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:29 am
Raganui Minamoto
Too bad Favored Soul requires you have Wis and Cha for spells, or I'd know what I'd do.

Depends on what you're doing with the Favored Soul. I built one for a gestalt game one time who maxed out Charisma for bonus spells and then mostly ignored Wisdom and just didn't take spells that required a save. Now, granted, I gestalted her with Sorcerer so she still had plenty of offensive spell power and that would be so possible here, but....  

jennibert

Anatarei Crimsonthrone rolled 2 12-sided dice: 9, 4 Total: 13 (2-24)

Anatarei Crimsonthrone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:32 am
Gonna roll for HP. Barbarian hit dice first...  
Anatarei Crimsonthrone rolled 3 8-sided dice: 2, 6, 1 Total: 9 (3-24)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:33 am
Now Ranger and Horizon Walker Hit Dice...  

Anatarei Crimsonthrone

Anatarei Crimsonthrone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:49 am
Okay, DM. Assuming that you'll allow the Whirling Frenzy variant, here's Sheziera Redmane, my airpirate submission. I'd love to give her a shot.  
Emerald the Crow rolled 5 10-sided dice: 6, 7, 8, 5, 1 Total: 27 (5-50)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:38 am
Arc Vembris
I could easily build a psychic warrior/swordsage, but I can see the value of a healybob Dragon Shaman/crusader

I've already run a duskblade/warblade before, which works quite nicely.

Hey! Dragon Shaman/Crusader is something I was already working on... Gonna roll HP right now, actually.  

Emerald the Crow

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:25 am
Excellent, I'll go PsyWarrior/Swordsage  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items