Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Recruiting 3.5 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit
NayrVentess rolled 16 6-sided dice: 1, 2, 5, 3, 2, 5, 6, 5, 5, 2, 4, 1, 6, 1, 1, 2 Total: 51 (16-96)

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:41 pm
Ability score rolls!

1, 2, 5, 3 = 10
2, 5, 6, 5 = 16
5, 2, 4, 1 = 11
6, 1, 1, 2 = 9
6, 1, 1, 5 = 12
4, 2, 4, 5 = 13
1, 1, 5, 2 = 8

Not bad, not great either mind you  
NayrVentess rolled 12 6-sided dice: 6, 1, 1, 5, 4, 2, 4, 5, 1, 1, 5, 2 Total: 37 (12-72)
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:43 pm
More rolls!  

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:24 am
glitterboypilot

Alignments: Open, just because you are evil. Doesn't mean you will kill off the whole town, or party. It just means that you place yourself above the well-being of others

Umm well.... I am not trying to be rude here but you can accomplish this without Evil alignment... in fact its more of an CN or more accurately its a NE one the two over lap in some areas. A LE character may very well put the lives of some above him or even some at the same level because a LE character knows where he stands in the food chain. I am drawn back to a good example of LE in the Chronicles of Riddick Karl Urban's character known as 'Vaako' if you are not familiar with this, I explain it as he knew his place and would not step out of rank he was still evil for his wrong moral choices but he was Lawful to a fault. (Until he was persuaded into an alignment change later in the movie.)
I will agree that most CE characters exhibit high love for them selves but most don't regard anyone higher then anyone else they are all equal and is damn going to prove it. We all bleed is a CE characters first thought and is more willing to sacrifice himself to pull off his last big stunt. CE evil is the best example of a loner bad guy usually too out there to trust anyone and too insane to be trusted. The hieratic and hapless killing leaves many in a CE characters wake. CE is almost never honest and tend to be cut throat and run. (its also the hardest alignment to play if you can believe that.)
NE has many faces first of which is its own. Assuming that it still its own it sees. NE characters can be the most dangerous villains because they can be your best friend one insistence and your worse enemy the next. Unlike the lawful rank holding LE characters NE are free to do as they please. But don't resort to random mayhem that there CE cousins my wish to display. NE is all about how to be number one. The ultimate users. They will step on anyone to reach the petiole they place themselves on. And kill anyone that stands in the way. Most of the best Villains are NE.

CN is the Free spirit. The first rule about CN is your number one. But that doesn't mean you can't choose to help others that doesn't mean you always use others. That means your safety comes first. You life will not be placed in danger by yourself willingly (unless you feel your character is leaning toward CG) the 'Lean' of any neutral character is important in fact in most games I will ask people to tell me what there character leans to if they are CN. The lean can be dist scribed as. My character is a Rogue who tends to run at the first sign of trouble. He leans toward CG in combat because this cowardly fleeing is actually a tactic to find and attack from the shadows where he is of most use. This also means in a dire situation he may deem someones life important enough to save even at the cost of his own.
But out of combat he leans toward NE is some ways. As if he feels that someone has insulted his practice or wounded his pride he may fail to tell them of a trap he found. BUT he is not NE so if this Trap could obviously cause death he may wait for another trap one that shows more of a warning then an example.
CN has many faces and over laps with many Alignments and is more or less the 'I do as I please as long as its not heinous evil. But by no means am I righteously good. And I believe that some laws are meant to bend and others to break.' and with that I give why I think that letting people be evil and giving them a stipulation of "no killing the town, or party" might as well be "Don't be evil because you don't know how to play it and if you do know how I don't want it to ruin the game" because it will.
And whats more you said I am not allowed to kill towns/party folk there was never a stipulation about enslaving them or making a deal with a demon and trading their souls for infernal gifts.

There is a lot more to evil then just killing. Sorry for the rant... I just explaining how I disagree with this.
The most important part of my statement will be in bold.

glitterboypilot

5] Spellcasters that prepare spells may spontaneously cast Cantrips and/or Orisons. And for an unlimited number of times a day.

You realize that means 'who cares about healing out side of battle because I can heal you 1 point every 6 seconds at no cost to me.'

That means 'why have magical traps? Sense they give off an aura with Detect Magic and if I can cast it unlimited times why would I turn it off. '

Don't worry about poison I can find that because why would I have it turned off...

Again not trying to be rude but this seems a little over powering to me. Just saying. I can make a cleric or even a favored soul that at first level if he spent 24 hours healing he could heal 1440 HP without losing a single spell. On top of that throw down Touch of Healing at 3rd level (6th for favored souls) and how as long as I can cast a healing spell of 2nd level or higher I can heal 6 Hp per round up to half a characters total HP then 1 HP per round after that until full. boosting the ability to heal out side of combat exponentially.

Not trying to ruin the gaming experience but thought I would point out things I thought may make your game a little over powered.
I think what you are going for is implementing the Pathfinders way of Cantrips/Orisons... But some spells are removed and you still have to prepare if you prepare spells and you still have a limited number know if you are a spontaneous caster.
I was just looking out for the integrity of the game there not trying to demoralize it.  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:25 am
Despite what I have posted and depending on what the GM responds with I am interested in joining this game.  

Archfiend Damio

KamikaziFreak

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:28 am
@Jester: While infinite 0-level spells does represent a significant change to the play style, it doesn't seem likely to risk the integrity of the game. I know some DMs who simply say that you're healed between scenes to speed up play, and several D20-based gaming systems work this way. As for detect spells, yes you could detect magic but you've got to spend a standard action every round to do so. If anyone's dumb enough to hire a mage to make them traps and not have them add a Magic Aura spell, then it's their own fault people are finding their traps. As for detect poison, it's only cast on a single object, as an instantaneous spell.
Granted it changes gameplay, but I don't think it threatens the integrity of the game any more than the very existence of any of the "Complete" books.  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:17 pm
Sorry I am a PHB kind of guy and so are most DM in some cases and the Magic Aura spell isn't necessarily core... Unless you count the SRD core... the point is I understand it doesn't blow up the game trust me its not like I have infinite fireballs or something... I was just saying if you wanted to run D&D like its supposed to being able to heal without any cost is substantial. Not to mention I have only heard of DMs doing the 'Healed between Combats/Sessions' things when there is no healer of any kind in the group. Because honestly I don't think anyone would play a cleric or even a favored soul if the party really didn't need healing most of the time.. And then when reaching greater challenges they are faced with the fact that healing after a combat is not as good as in a combat sometimes.

Don't get me wrong some good can come out of this... Some people might be more inclined to play a healer if they are now even more useful outside of combat. I just was stating a warning. Not telling the DM to change everything. If its not changed I will not hate him and any that play in this game I just wanted to make sure if he was using that rule (which is pretty much from Pathfinder) then he should know that Pathfinder nixed some of the 0 level spells.  

Archfiend Damio

KamikaziFreak

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:34 pm
No, I realize you're not making this out to be some huge deal or anything. I'm just suggesting a different opinion; I'm not offended if you don't agree after reading it.

Leaving that original point behind, I feel I should point out that Magic Aura is in the PHB, though it's called Nystul's Magic Aura. I'm not sure if you noticed, but for the online SRD they had to strip every last bit of fluff description out of it for copyright reasons, including made-up names like "Nystul". It's the same spell; I was just being too lazy to type out the whole thing. Personally I'm very much a fan of sticking to the core rules, which is why I made the comment about how the various Complete books already distort the game. WTC is all about selling books however they can, even if it means adding things that don't make any sense and that have no precedent in traditional fantasy.

Also, I'm playing a cleric for this game already, so someone would. Granted, he does at least as much punching things as healing them (possibly even both at the same time, if he's grumpy).

Also...what's a favored soul?  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:09 am
Complete Divine if you plan to multiclass in a monk then I would suggest it. Is more or less like a 'Divine Sorcerer' you don't have as many spells to choose from like a cleric but you get to cast spontaneously.

And your right I do remember the spell now damn the front names to things. Setting that a side your right the point is moot, like I said more or less just a friendly warning.

And I am not up on everything the SRD puts out well because its not in a book and while I am not against everything that is not in a book that means its not readily available and therefore am not up to speed on it. When it comes to the books I mostly got it down when it comes to SRD that's after book stuff and I usually only consult the web when an argument about a gray area can't be solved in a game.  

Archfiend Damio

glitterboypilot

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:35 pm
First off, I am sorry. I was pulled away because of family issues.

Now, about the alignments. I only opened it up because I kind of like a few prestige classes that have an evil alignment as a requirement. That and I just copied from 2's original post.

Though looking back, I could just remove the alignment requirements for prestige classes. But then again, we would have a group of assassins and that would be no fun. I will have to think on this.

And now to what appears to be the bigger issue, the unlimited magic. What I was originally going for was the Recharging magic from Unearthed Arcana, but I got lazy (I didn't want to type out the recharge rules or come up with new rules for recharging power points for psionic characters) and just decided to go with pathfinder's.

But I will admit, I am still new to pathfinder (I only played one game and it died before the first combat) and didn't know that they removed some spells.  
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:21 am
The recharge is not a bad rule. Like I said no need to change anything about the spell house rules just thought I would bring it up in case you didn't know.

As well as Assassin doesn't make a whole bunch of sense to me most times. And is a little week when it comes to somethings most would agree. I would say that while you may not have to be evil you are obviously not good. A Any non-good substitute my be in order. for some classes. (Again not all Evil classes should be played by PCs or fit here a Soul Eater PrC probably isn't going to be anything but evil. )

As well as a DM you reserve the right to disallow anything you deem does not fit within your games realm. As well as even if you had the alignment system you have right now you could have a party of assassins (and trust me it most likely wouldn't be fun and wouldn't happen because of this. ^_^) Removing alignment restrictions doesn't really solve the problem but replacing some on a case by case basis is fine I am sure.

As a general rule I don't let PCs play evil far and few between know how to play it right and the ones that do, play them well and the rest of the party hates it (And so do I as a DM). Alignment is like your moral compass unless it makes sense for evil characters and good characters to be traveling together the would more then likely be at each others throats and if there not the good character is not doing his job and the evil character is taking advantage of that.  

Archfiend Damio

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:06 pm
I'd join as a paladin of Tyrrany (or if I can't do that, I'd do Fighter/Blackguard). I've played as one in a good aligned group before (I was LE of course). It was fun. Basically, I kind of withheld the 'who I am working for' aspect and kind of prodded the team into destroying certain evil parties that were in my way. Very manipulative. The only time I did anything very... interfering, was when one of the party took an inn room without paying, making the rest of us have to pay more.

My guy grabbed the non-payer, turned him upside down and started shaking. "You're going to pay for that."

Well, and the time when same player started casting spells without regard for teammates... let's just say that the player didn't stay with the game cause of... PC Death.  
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:04 pm
After much thought, I am going to change some things.

Lawful Evil will be the only one in the evil line that is allowed.

And Rag you can make your paladin of tyranny.  

glitterboypilot

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces