Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
4e May rules update Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:45 am
Rain Yupa
I'm almost done updating all my books from the Errata, and I stumbled across the picture on page 84 of Martial Power 2.

Dude, that tiefling warlord archer shot that orc IN THE BACK.

FOUR TIMES.

I lol'd. Can't believe I never noticed that before.
and she's still got that face like "You think he's dead?"  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:06 am
Okay, done updating my books.

But in the past couple months, weren't they archiving previous updates based on date? Or at least, in each PDF, having a glossary of which updates were for which month?

I don't want to have to comb through EACH BOOK to see if I missed any ._.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:24 am
Rain Yupa

But in the past couple months, weren't they archiving previous updates based on date? Or at least, in each PDF, having a glossary of which updates were for which month?

yeah, they had been. they said in the design and development column that they're tweaking format and presentation, so maybe send customer service some kind of feedback? i dunno, i try to be diligent in keeping the latest updates, so their current mode of newest updates and the rest of the updates works for me.  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:59 pm
Rain Yupa

question! Do you right on your books? Or stick in paper with the new rules? Or paperclip them in?  

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:46 pm
NayrVentess
Rain Yupa

question! Do you right on your books? Or stick in paper with the new rules? Or paperclip them in?
personally: I annotate my PDFs, shh, don't tell. ninja

if I did want to put the errata in the real books i'd print it out and stick that in, they have most of it formatted that you could paste (as a figure of speech) the errata'd info on top of the old stuff in your book.  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:32 pm
Rain Yupa
@ Natural Disaster and BNW: I won't be taking the aura-damage-now-stacks rule into effect mid-fight.

I've been thinking heavily on the Aura matter over the past week. Between the Eberron slaughter, and the Neogi Spawn Swarms in Coliseum...

I think I'm going to implement a no-aura-stack rule in my games. Different auras/damage types will stack, but the same ones will not.

It's just... if they get around/swarm one PC, it will take him/her down much faster than I'd care to see.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:45 pm
Rain Yupa
Rain Yupa
@ Natural Disaster and BNW: I won't be taking the aura-damage-now-stacks rule into effect mid-fight.

I've been thinking heavily on the Aura matter over the past week. Between the Eberron slaughter, and the Neogi Spawn Swarms in Coliseum...

I think I'm going to implement a no-aura-stack rule in my games. Different auras/damage types will stack, but the same ones will not.

It's just... if they get around/swarm one PC, it will take him/her down much faster than I'd care to see.
to be fair, the eberron slaughter was mostly because of a very large burst, not aura damage. plus getting most of the party restrained before we had any idea what was happening wasn't the best tactics in the world.

piling auto-damage on one character will take them down quick, but if a bunch of monsters all gang up on one player and attack them unrelenting that'll take them down faster than spreading out attacks too. The foulspawn in the coliseum took what was ostensibly a meat-shield down several notches in short order without auras.  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:55 pm
But its situations like... what would happen to any melee character that charges a retinue of Chillborn Zombies? Level 6 monsters... if tightly packed enough, it'll WRECK anyone who comes close, BEFORE attack rolls even come into play. Mind you, it says Chillborn auras stack, but others don't. Look at Centipede Swarms, for instance (level 2 monster).

Swarms are an issue, too. I think most, if not all, swarms have some sort of similar damage aura. Not only are they reducing all non-area attacks vs them by half, but dealing auto damage in addition to their normal attacks? One swarm is fine, but 2+ starts getting a bit worrisome for the PCs, I'd think.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:06 pm
I suppose I could just use less Aura monsters in my own games, but I'd rather not have to tweak my encounters for that reason alone sad  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:12 pm
Rain Yupa
But its situations like... what would happen to any melee character that charges a retinue of Chillborn Zombies? Level 6 monsters... if tightly packed enough, it'll WRECK anyone who comes close, BEFORE attack rolls even come into play. Mind you, it says Chillborn auras stack, but others don't. Look at Centipede Swarms, for instance (level 2 monster).

Swarms are an issue, too. I think most, if not all, swarms have some sort of similar damage aura. Not only are they reducing all non-area attacks vs them by half, but dealing auto damage in addition to their normal attacks? One swarm is fine, but 2+ starts getting a bit worrisome for the PCs, I'd think.
actually most swarm auras grant them attacks to creatures that start adjacent, I don't think the majority get auto-damage. at least, not in the MM.

I understand your concern, but I think at some point you should be able to expect your players to either spread out the aura monsters, or retreat away from an overwhelming force.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:31 am
Rain Yupa
Rain Yupa

Especially when THEY KEEP CRITTING ME!!! crying

Lolz, but I think stacking is okay. I mean yeah it's hard when they all gang up on one person, but that's why a party needs a controller to slide them around. mrgreen

It seems more unfair in Coliseum because there's only 3 PC's. You should keep stacking for your games, just maybe not the smaller parties like Coliseum/Merc Work.  
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:54 pm
It's smaller parties in Merc Work cause people keep disappearing off the face of the earth! crying  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

joe-dude667

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:07 am
Yeah... Though I'm liking your "as soon as Finales are over the guild will be thriving" theory.  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:06 pm
They've made the Shaman's Sudden Call feat once per encounter! crying I can no longer be a ghost sniper!  

joe-dude667

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:17 pm
joe-dude667
They've made the Shaman's Sudden Call feat once per encounter! crying I can no longer be a ghost sniper!

Nuclear Launch Detected?  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces