Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Q & A Thread: Questions Answered Here Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silent_Death509

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:46 pm
its 3.5 and i started making a character and got lost im making a rogue mage and here are his stats str 12 dex13 con 13 int17 wis 15 cha 12 and im an elf. thats as far as i got  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:50 pm
Alright well let me ask is this a character for a current game opening or recruiting in the guild or is this a character you are trying to make to understand creating a character better?  

Archfiend Damio

Silent_Death509

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:53 pm
well once i make him i will try to be him but yes its to understand making a character better  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:06 pm
Rule 1 in Making Your First D&D Character 101 is try to stay away form multiclassing because it more or less complicates the creation prosesses now I am not saying you can't make one but i would say start with building a more simple class first then move up.

It takes a long time to chop down a tree if you start from the top.

Now if you have your heart set on this I can still help you. But I will let you decied if you want this or to try soemthing easier first.  

Archfiend Damio

Silent_Death509

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:23 pm
no i want to stick with this because my older brothers play alot and we usually do 2 classes but they never have time to help me so i want to learn and ty for helping me  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:51 pm
No problem, as to reduce clutter in the Q&A thread we shoudl continue the character creation guild lines in this thread Build A Character 101  

Archfiend Damio

Durgress

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:22 am
Anyone know of a good map creation program other than using editors (MSPaint, Photoshop, ect)? I would prefer to not pay, but I know way around those... yar...  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:13 am
I use a program called Auto realm myself. Good for making world maps' Dont know how it scales down to room by room... I'm gonna go have a try with it XD

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100

5Crispy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:26 am
I personally like working with Maptools. Takes a while to get the hang of it at first but you get used to it.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:41 am
I've been using 4e for a while now, and I feel like I have the gist of it. I recently was messing around, and made a Beastmaster Ranger. I like how he sounds, but I have a question about the companion.

How does it work, exactly? Does the beast have it's own turn and it's own initiative, or does it go the same turn I do? And if that's the case, does it get it's own Minor/Move/Standard actions, or do I share mine with it?

Example: I have a speed of 6, and my wolf companion has a speed of 7. On my turn, can I move 6 and the wolf move 7, or do we have to split it up, such as I move 3, and the wolf can move 4, or what?

Thanks for any help in this matter.  

iDragow

iDragow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:43 pm
Actually, a read some posts about this in another forum, and I think I found out the answer:

My companion acts on the same turn that I do. We each get a move action, and I think the animal gets a minor of his own, but not sure about that. However, there's still only one standard action. Either I can attack, or the beast can, not both in one turn.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:13 pm
iDragow
Actually, a read some posts about this in another forum, and I think I found out the answer:

My companion acts on the same turn that I do. We each get a move action, and I think the animal gets a minor of his own, but not sure about that. However, there's still only one standard action. Either I can attack, or the beast can, not both in one turn.

I thought it was explained pretty clearly on p 41-42 of MP. you've got it mostly right, the beast acts on your turn, you use the action, and your beast does it. both you and your beast can move or take total defense, rather than just one of you, and you can command your beast to make an opportunity action as an interrupt.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

iDragow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:16 pm
Yeah, I figure it was probably pretty well explained. Problem is, the only source I have is the DDI Character creator, since all the nearest bookstores to my location closed down. Stupid economy... ><

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, though.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:23 pm
iDragow
Yeah, I figure it was probably pretty well explained. Problem is, the only source I have is the DDI Character creator, since all the nearest bookstores to my location closed down. Stupid economy... ><

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, though.
oooh, yeah that's a problem. the exact wording from MP, if you care:
Quote:
Commanding a Beast Companion
Your beast companion doesn’t usually take its own actions during combat. It acts on your turn as you direct it, using the options below. To command your beast companion, you take the action specified for a command, and the beast must be able to see or hear you. If you don’t command your beast companion, it remains where it is, as long as you are conscious and present in the encounter. If you are unconscious or aren’t present, your beast companion can act independently (see “Beast Companion Independent Actions” below).

Attack (Standard Action): Your beast companion makes a melee basic attack against an enemy of your choice.

Defend (Standard Action): Your beast companion or both of you go on total defense. If you are adjacent to each other, the bonus to defenses is +3 rather than +2.

Move (Move Action): Your beast companion or both of you take a move action. The move actions need not be the same.

Opportunity Attack (Immediate Interrupt): When a creature provokes an opportunity attack from your beast companion, you spend an immediate interrupt to command the beast to make the attack.

Other Action: For any other action, you spend the required action and your beast companion completes it. For example, picking up an object requires a minor action, so you can spend a minor action to order your beast companion to grab a bag of coins in its jaws.

If your beast companion is incapable of completing an action, your action is wasted and the beast does nothing. Your beast companion cannot use your powers, and the DM is the final judge on whether a beast is capable of completing an action.

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

iDragow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:27 pm
Thanks. I was still kinda wondering what happens if I die or am unconcious but the companion wasn't. Kinda nice to know it can still fight to help out the team. ^_^  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff