Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Q & A Thread: Questions Answered Here Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Valyrian Steel

Vicious Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:03 pm
Anyone have an idea on how much a Mighty Composite Bow would cost? Google has failed me yet again. Lol  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:25 pm
Valyrian Steel
Anyone have an idea on how much a Mighty Composite Bow would cost? Google has failed me yet again. Lol

Composite Longbows are 100g
Composite Shortbows are 75g

Mighty is not a weapon description I'm aware of. If you just mean a bow that lets you add your Strength mod to the damage, that's the basic description of a composite bow.  

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Valyrian Steel

Vicious Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:44 pm
WhimsicalXellos
Valyrian Steel

Composite Longbows are 100g
Composite Shortbows are 75g

Mighty is not a weapon description I'm aware of. If you just mean a bow that lets you add your Strength mod to the damage, that's the basic description of a composite bow.

Ah gotcha. Is that a fairly new thing? From what I remember a couple years back, the Mighty mod/enchantment was what added the strength mod to the bows damage. Also, isn't the minimum strength to wield the composite longbow about 14?

Edit: also, just to clarify, I'm talking pathfinder. Not 3.5. Though I don't know if there's much of a difference. I'm only familiar with pathfinder, and not DnD.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:54 pm
Valyrian Steel
Ah gotcha. Is that a fairly new thing? From what I remember a couple years back, the Mighty mod/enchantment was what added the strength mod to the bows damage. Also, isn't the minimum strength to wield the composite longbow about 14?

Edit: also, just to clarify, I'm talking pathfinder. Not 3.5. Though I don't know if there's much of a difference. I'm only familiar with pathfinder, and not DnD.

Might be an older ruling or for an older edition. All I know is that regular bows don't get strength. It's the composite that gives it.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons#martial-ranged
Feel free to click the weapon descriptions, but as a quick breakdown, to be clear, the composite bows in PF require +0 mod for a +0 rated bow. That's the base cost of 100 or 75. If you want a bow that allows a character with a +5 StrMod to do +5 damage, you have to multiply the desired mod by the base price. So a +5 str rated longbow would be 500g, and a shortbow would be 375g.  

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Valyrian Steel

Vicious Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:03 pm
WhimsicalXellos
Valyrian Steel

Might be an older ruling or for an older edition. All I know is that regular bows don't get strength. It's the composite that gives it.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons#martial-ranged
Feel free to click the weapon descriptions, but as a quick breakdown, to be clear, the composite bows in PF require +0 mod for a +0 rated bow. That's the base cost of 100 or 75. If you want a bow that allows a character with a +5 StrMod to do +5 damage, you have to multiply the desired mod by the base price. So a +5 str rated longbow would be 500g, and a shortbow would be 375g.

Good to know! Thanks for the info and clarification!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:07 am
please tell me if I have this right (for argument's sake I am using a 1d6 sword)

if I roll a natural 20 I get a 'threat of critical hit'

I noticed that term in MW (myth weavers)

so I've noticed others rolling d20s so then do I have to make another hit by going over their AC again?

and the X2 means I roll another 1d6, not simple doubling damage.

did I get that part right?  

Xenar1

Enduring Lunatic

9,450 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100

KytanaTheThief
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:55 am
For 3.5 and pathfinder, that's correct. You roll a nat twenty (some weapons have a crit range of 19, or even 18 ), then roll to confirm by beating their AC.

x2 means you double the dice, but not any other bonuses you might have.

So, 1d6 would become 2d6.

2d4 would become 4d4.

But 1d8+2 would become 2d8+2.

In 4.0, a crit is simply a nat 20 (no roll to confirm) and maximum possible damage (rather than rolling double).

So a weapon that deals 1d8+2 damage, on a crit would result in 10 damage (8 +2).

Hope that helps!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:44 am
KytanaTheThief
For 3.5 and pathfinder, that's correct. You roll a nat twenty (some weapons have a crit range of 19, or even 18 ), then roll to confirm by beating their AC.

x2 means you double the dice, but not any other bonuses you might have.

So, 1d6 would become 2d6.

2d4 would become 4d4.

But 1d8+2 would become 2d8+2.

In 4.0, a crit is simply a nat 20 (no roll to confirm) and maximum possible damage (rather than rolling double).

So a weapon that deals 1d8+2 damage, on a crit would result in 10 damage (8 +2).

Hope that helps!

Magical implements add +1d6*Their magical rating  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:18 am
KytanaTheThief

Xenar1

This is not entirely correct! And also missing a detail.

When you roll a 20, it is an automatic hit, no matter what the target's AC is. The roll you make after that is merely to confirm that you can double the damage.

HOWEVER.

According to the SRD for both 3.5 and PF, when you double damage:
Quote:
you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together.

The only damage that is not multiplied is extra damage dice provided by magical weapons and abilities, unless otherwise noted by the magical effect or ability.

If say I had a Flaming Greataxe +2 with a +4 Str Mod, my damage roll would look like this:
1d12 +8 +1d6(fire)

And if I were to crit with that weapon, which has a x3 multiplier, the basic breakdown of the damage would be as follows:
+1d12 +8 +1d6(fire)
+1d12 +8
+1d12 +8
3d12 +24 +1d6(fire)

So to use your example of a short sword with a x2 crit damage, if you have say a +1 Str Mod:
+1d6 +1
+1d6 +1
+2d6 +2

I hope this cleared things up for you. : )  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:09 am
things are cleared smile

one last combat question before I switch to other more odd questions. is the combat grid based on 5 feet or 10 feet increments? if 10 then how does a 5 foot step get shown?

here is another stumper for me (one for which I was too lazy to PM Ill Intent when he offered), did I make this Lycanthrope correctly? and in PF (which was far more simpler than 3.5) it says CR (challenge rating) +1, does that mean level +1?

(also the character below is 3.5)
http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=15262  

Xenar1

Enduring Lunatic

9,450 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100

KytanaTheThief
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:54 pm
WhimsicalXellos

According to the SRD for both 3.5 and PF, when you double damage:
Quote:
you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together.

The only damage that is not multiplied is extra damage dice provided by magical weapons and abilities, unless otherwise noted by the magical effect or ability.

That's so weird. I mean, I remember seeing that in the srd, but we had an argument/debate over that in my rl pathfinder group, and it was ruled that the non-dice damage doesn't stack. I don't know if it was something that was errata'd, maybe.

Xenar1
things are cleared smile

one last combat question before I switch to other more odd questions. is the combat grid based on 5 feet or 10 feet increments? if 10 then how does a 5 foot step get shown?

I can't answer your CR question, but combat grids are based on 5 foot increments. It just gets confusing when you attach diagonal movement to it. Diagonal movement costs 5 for the first "square", 10 for the second, then back to 5 for the third, 10 for the fourth, and so on and so forth.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:04 pm
KytanaTheThief

Yeah, haha, but my friends and I do it wrong anyway. It's kind of a house rule between us that we just straight up multiply the damage. Too much of a pain to roll all those dice if you can just do math.  

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Xun Ira

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:31 pm
Can someone explain to me this...
Quote:

Mystic Past Life (Su) You can add spells from another spellcasting class to the spell list of your current spellcasting class. You add a number of spells equal to 1 + your spellcasting class's key ability score bonus (Wisdom for clerics, and so on). The spells must be the same type (arcane or divine) as the spellcasting class you're adding them to. For example, you could add divine power to your druid class spell list, but not to your wizard class spell list because divine power is a divine spell. These spells do not have to be spells you can cast as a 1st-level character. The number of spells granted by this ability is set at 1st level. Changes to your ability score do not change the number of spells gained. This racial trait replaces shards of the past.

Does this mean a Samsaran Cleric can take, say... STORM OF VENGEANCE!!!...ance....ance...ance... sorry echo... but, can take it and use it at first level?

It doesn't even have to, storm but any spell higher than 1st level spell.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:46 pm
Xun Ira
Mystic Past Life (Su) You can add spells from another spellcasting class to the spell list of your current spellcasting class. You add a number of spells equal to 1 + your spellcasting class's key ability score bonus (Wisdom for clerics, and so on). The spells must be the same type (arcane or divine) as the spellcasting class you're adding them to. For example, you could add divine power to your druid class spell list, but not to your wizard class spell list because divine power is a divine spell. These spells do not have to be spells you can cast as a 1st-level character. The number of spells granted by this ability is set at 1st level. Changes to your ability score do not change the number of spells gained. This racial trait replaces shards of the past.

Does this mean a Samsaran Cleric can take, say... STORM OF VENGEANCE!!!...ance....ance...ance... sorry echo... but, can take it and use it at first level?

I believe it means specifically that you can add it to your spell list. For a Wizard or class that requires a book, that means that when you learn new spells at higher levels, or are choosing spells to add to your spell book, you can pick the spells you added because of the racial ability. For Sorcerers and other spontaneous casters, you have access to the spell at will.

Basically, you can't cast it at a lower level, but you can cast it as if it were naturally part of your spell list.  

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Xun Ira

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:07 pm
WhimsicalXellos
Xun Ira

I believe it means specifically that you can add it to your spell list. For a Wizard or class that requires a book, that means that when you learn new spells at higher levels, or are choosing spells to add to your spell book, you can pick the spells you added because of the racial ability. For Sorcerers and other spontaneous casters, you have access to the spell at will.

Basically, you can't cast it at a lower level, but you can cast it as if it were naturally part of your spell list.

Thank you for clearing that up.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces