Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Rainy Days are here again - Another L5R 4e Campaign? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:54 pm
Quote:
Skills:
Acting, Etiquette, Courtier (Gossip), Investigation, Craft (any), Forgery, and either Artisan (Any) or Perform (Any),

Equipment:
Extravagant Clothing,,Wakizashi, Knife, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack, 5 koku

Honor: 2.5

Maybe?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:31 pm
Plainsfox's list of Schools in relation to how they place in Iaijutsu.

Group 1 consists of schools that were made for Iaijutsu dueling and/or have abilities that translate really well into Iaijutsu dueling as well as normal combat.
The Kakita bushi school is an example of the former.
The Shiba school is an example of the latter.

Group 2 consists of schools that get assistance from paths or the like, but are otherwise not focused on Iaijutsu dueling. Schools in this group include the Mirumoto, the Daidoji schools in general, due to their access to Crane dueling katas, The Bayushi bushi school, the unicorn schools, the Crab bushi schools (believe it or not) the Toku bushi school, and several ronin path that give aid to dueling.

Group 3 consists of schools that gain no special techniques to iaijutsu dueling and must rely on the skill alone. Examples include most minor clan schools and the Lion, Mantis, and Spider schools.

....What I am saying is that I would place either of Rain's iterations in Group A, making us better than most of the other clans at Iaijutsu dueling.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:47 am
I'm liking v2 of it as a bushi school, cause it makes more sense for something founded from a duelist. And it's set up so they can do some courtier work (more so than most bushi schools)  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:36 pm
Something to consider as well, before my lunch ends: If someone wants to submit simply a Rank 1 ability of the school (bushi, courtier, artisan), we can always figure out Rank 2 and onwards as needed.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:02 pm
Is it to laye to change my geographical feature > smile Saltpeter mines. Getting that gaijun knowledge. Make a bushi that brings a gun to a sword fight.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:26 pm
Gunpowder is ALMOST as bad as Maho as far as the Rokugani are concerned. Not a good idea.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:36 pm
Plainsfox
Gunpowder is ALMOST as bad as Maho as far as the Rokugani are concerned. Not a good idea.

This is my bookstick!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:50 pm
Raganui Minamoto
I'm liking v2 of it as a bushi school, cause it makes more sense for something founded from a duelist. And it's set up so they can do some courtier work (more so than most bushi schools)

The second part is mostly what I was aiming for.

It left me kind of limited for the starting school skills. People start with 7 skills, one or two of them "any" skills, and one emphasis OR one at rank 2. Being duel-inspired, Iaijutsu had to be included. Kenjutsu as well, because Bushiing is srs bsns. But since much of the school's bonuses are derived from ranks of other skills (artisan, etiquette, investigation), they had to be school skills too - but at the risk of pigeon-holing you into too MUCH social stuff, I gave you guys two 'any' skills that could be non-High skills if you wanted.

I made Craft one because, being fishermen (kind of), Craft was the skill that will help you guys with that - but could easily be, say, Weaponsmithing or Armorsmithing (since you expressed an interest), or even cooking. Gotta make that fugu safe!

Or poison if you wanted to use the unsafe bits?

Sailing and commerce are also Merchant skills, both I can see being handy for yous guys.

Bugei or High skill for the other one, for all your non-dishonor needs!

If I change the school's ability again, it may influence your school skills as well (the artisan/etiquette/investigation triad, most likely).  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:51 pm
PupSage
Is it to laye to change my geographical feature >: ) Saltpeter mines. Getting that gaijun knowledge. Make a bushi that brings a gun to a sword fight.

Yeah, gaijin pepper (gunpowder) is bound to get you executed if you get caught with it. Or your whole clan wiped out by the Lion if they think all of you are making it.

That said, want to keep with your change?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:54 pm
PupSage
Quote:
Skills:
Acting, Etiquette, Courtier (Gossip), Investigation, Craft (any), Forgery, and either Artisan (Any) or Perform (Any),

Equipment:

Maybe?

A potentially courtier Himura school, I take it?

Why so dishonorable? o_o  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:55 pm
PupSage
Rain Yupa

Something to consider: Would you rather see a Courtier school? Or an Artisan school?

I'm also willing to allow you guys the opportunity to write the school. I have veto rights if I think it's too powerful (Rank 1: Add five times your Fire Ring to all combat rolls!) I'm aiming at something a smidge weaker than a Great Clan school (because they've had 1200 years to perfect their techniques, for most of them!), but something still worth playing.

Courtier school!

Mayhaps a focus on ink and gossip. The Himura Courtier are masters of the written word and clouding the vision of others.
Which is a nice change from most Dragon courtier schools focusing on investigation.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:58 pm
School wise, a low honor courtier is what the Tortoise do. I'm not saying you shouldn't play one if that's your wish, but I like the interpretation Rain put out and I want to play that. I guess I'm rather invested in the Himura as they are now.

I feel that the Himura bushi is as flexible as Rain could make it and if you want to run it as a low honor courtier, than you can do that. If you want to make a more honorable type, then you can do that.

I guess I'm another vote for V2  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:11 pm
Well, Raggy, Foxy, you two so far are the strongest advocates for v0.2. I'm sure it's not perfect, but is there anything in it you think should be changed?

Not just the rank abilities, but also the ability names, school skills, even starting honor?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:28 am
Rain Yupa
PupSage
Quote:
Skills:

Equipment:

Maybe?

A potentially courtier Himura school, I take it?

Why so dishonorable? o_o

I just did what I saw as average.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:43 am
Oh, I'm certain that, after some playtesting, I could give ideas on how to refine it, but for now, I am okay with how it is.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff