Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[M&M 2nd edition] 1 AZ - Issue #1 underway! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Brains
  Brains
View Results

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:57 pm
We posted nearly the same time. Look up to see the hopefully final version of the form.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:10 pm
Wire_Colossus
There. Edited. I think I understood your post correctly. Tell me what you think, if it's acceptable when you have the time.

First off, it's already moved to the Completed Profiles section of the first post :3

Also, there's a few things you need to do to tidy up your profile. This is attempt #2 since I lost the first one, so let's see if I can remember them all stressed

Quote:
Power Points: 75/75

This is a gauge of how powerful you are, and what all your abilities should add up to. Every 15 PP is a power level up. You get PP instead of XP - that is, you spend the points you earn directly to your character sheet. In case you save up (say, you need something that costs 7 PP to increase in rank), the first number is your current PP, the second is your total PP. I'm planning on giving out 5PP per Issue.

Quote:
Saves:
Toughness: 5 (0 ranks, 1 ability, 4 armor)
Fortitude: 5 (4 ranks, 1 ability)
Reflex: 5 (3 ranks, 2 ability)
Willpower: 5 (5 ranks, 0 ability)

This way, you'll know if any modifiers (to ability scores, save ranks, etc; usually from a Drain power) will effect your saves, and how much.

Quote:
Hero Points: 1

You'll always begin each Issue with 1 Hero Point.

Quote:
Base Attack: +5
Melee Attack: +5 (+5 base)
Ranged Attack: +5 (+5 base)
Melee Damage (Knife): +3 (+1 weapon, +2 strength)
Ranged Damage (Knife): +3 (+1 weapon, +2 strength)

Like with your saves, so you know how things are reflected in your combat stats in case it ever changes. There are times where your attack bonus will be higher than your base bonus (for example, with the Accurate power flaw; not so much in your case, but others it might).

With that all said, it's done, and good work :3  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:17 pm
I'll edit that stuff into the post with the form if you wish.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:19 pm
Rain Yupa
Laertes Ursus
Right, I'll shift a few things around.

Rain Yupa
Let me know when it's properly tweaked smile

Laertes, is your sheet 'finalized' yet? Still waiting for word from you if it's 'good to go' or not.

Count me out, sorry. It's getting too complicated.

Laertes Ursus

Vicious Knight

13,050 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:46 pm
Laertes Ursus
Rain Yupa
Laertes Ursus

Rain Yupa

Laertes, is your sheet 'finalized' yet? Still waiting for word from you if it's 'good to go' or not.

That was MY problem the first time playing M&M. I had such a specific thing in mind, and it got exponentially more complicated from the get go. I've learned that simple is the way to go, and let roleplaying do the rest.

It would be much simpler to simply have a Blast power and call it "Gun-fu" or something. Almost all ranged powers in M&M are simply the Blast power, with elemental subtypes thrown on for flavor at no additional cost.

Blast 5, Penetrating Extra, Precise Feat = 3/rank, +1 total.
Alternate power, Blast 5, Area: Line Extra, Precise Feat = 3/rank, +1 total.
Alternate power, Blast 5, Area: Cone Extra, Precise Feat = 3/rank, +1 total.
Alternate power, Blast 5, Range Extra (Perception), Precise Feat = 3/rank, +1 total.
Alternate power, Blast 5, Autofire Extra, Precise Feat = 3/rank, +1 total.
Alternate power, Blast 4, Precise Feat, Ricochet Featx2, Split Attack Feat = 3/rank, +4 total.

16 points per power, +5 more for each alternate, 21 PP total. Covers pretty much every situation I can think of that you'd want a gun for. Use whichever one is necessary.

Have the Power Drawback: Limited Ammo. It will come up every adventure (Frequency: Very Common, a -3 discount to the total of the power set), and an Intensity value of your choice: a DC 5 straight d20 roll (Minor, -0), DC 10 (Moderate, -1), or DC 15 (Major, -2). This will reduce the total of your blast from -3 to -5, depending on your choice. Once per adventure, you must succeed on the chosen DC check (unmodified d20 roll) or unable to use your Gun-fu for the rest of the scene. Repeat this roll each scene until you succeed, and you're good for the rest of the Issue.

MUCH less complicated than what you were trying before. And now, the capability of how well you can contribute to battle is now based on how well YOU can do with a gun, rather than how strong a gun is itself.

If you still want to opt out, that is your right. But I think you had something cool, but you were too bogged down with the fine details. An easy mistake to make in M&M.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:57 pm
Rain Yupa
Laertes Ursus
Rain Yupa
Laertes Ursus

Rain Yupa

That was MY problem the first time playing M&M. I had such a specific thing in mind, and it got exponentially more complicated from the get go. I've learned that simple is the way to go, and let roleplaying do the rest.

It would be much simpler to simply have a Blast power and call it "Gun-fu" or something. Almost all ranged powers in M&M are simply the Blast power, with elemental subtypes thrown on for flavor at no additional cost.

Alternate power, Blast 5, Range Extra (Perception), Precise Feat = 3/rank, +1 total.
Alternate power, Blast 4, Precise Feat, Ricochet Featx2, Split Attack Feat = 3/rank, +4 total.

16 points per power, +5 more for each alternate, 21 PP total. Covers pretty much every situation I can think of that you'd want a gun for. Use whichever one is necessary.

Have the Power Drawback: Limited Ammo. It will come up every adventure (Frequency: Very Common, a -3 discount to the total of the power set), and an Intensity value of your choice: a DC 5 straight d20 roll (Minor, -0), DC 10 (Moderate, -1), or DC 15 (Major, -2). This will reduce the total of your blast from -3 to -5, depending on your choice. Once per adventure, you must succeed on the chosen DC check (unmodified d20 roll) or unable to use your Gun-fu for the rest of the scene. Repeat this roll each scene until you succeed, and you're good for the rest of the Issue.

MUCH less complicated than what you were trying before. And now, the capability of how well you can contribute to battle is now based on how well YOU can do with a gun, rather than how strong a gun is itself.

If you still want to opt out, that is your right. But I think you had something cool, but you were too bogged down with the fine details. An easy mistake to make in M&M.

It still doesn't fit the dynamic. The idea was he finds a gun(the summon), and then uses it until it runs out of ammo or jams(the dismissal), and it always seems to do so at a convenient time, like the last round fired kills the last zombie, etc. In other words, the man gets by on sheer luck.

Laertes Ursus

Vicious Knight

13,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:08 pm
Laertes Ursus

It still doesn't fit the dynamic. The idea was he finds a gun(the summon), and then uses it until it runs out of ammo or jams(the dismissal), and it always seems to do so at a convenient time, like the last round fired kills the last zombie, etc. In other words, the man gets by on sheer luck.

Then definitely ignore the Drawback suggestion, and roleplay that. You do NOT need a mechanic to justify doing that. If you say your gun runs out of ammo or jams, then it runs out of ammo or jams. That's what I mean by 'getting bogged down by the fine details'.

Read what you wrote/what I quoted, and tell me, do you honestly need a game mechanic to reflect the details of ammo & gun maintenance?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:34 pm
Rain Yupa
Laertes Ursus

Then definitely ignore the Drawback suggestion, and roleplay that. You do NOT need a mechanic to justify doing that. If you say your gun runs out of ammo or jams, then it runs out of ammo or jams. That's what I mean by 'getting bogged down by the fine details'.

Read what you wrote/what I quoted, and tell me, do you honestly need a game mechanic to reflect the details of ammo & gun maintenance?

I can't look at what you wrote without my eyes crossing.

Laertes Ursus

Vicious Knight

13,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:02 pm
Laertes Ursus
Rain Yupa
Laertes Ursus

I can't look at what you wrote without my eyes crossing.

... why not? confused

I mean, I look at it this way: Would a pyrokinetic need a game mechanic to represent smoke that's emitted from their body when they use their powers? Or a psychic having a game mechanic that turns their hair neon blue every time they use a telekinetic push? A shapeshifter to have leftover fur patterns on their skin after reverting back to human? A healer to levitate an inch off the ground and glow with heavenly light whenever they infuse someone with the power of life?

It's all flavor text, as is your guns having JUST ENOUGH ammo each time. Having a mechanic (Weapon Summoning) behind finding your weapons basically amounts to you pulling them out of your environment, out of a pocket dimension, out of your arse, etc etc. Rather, you're super good with the ones you have, and when you feel the need to replace them, do so. When you empty out your current inventory, look! You find more! You don't NEED a system to represent that. It's built into just simply having the Blast Power, without any limitations (read: power flaws, or power drawbacks) to it. Whenever you need it, it's there.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:13 pm
Rain Yupa

I just meant the raw stats. For some reason, looking at blocks of MnM stat text makes my eyes cross.

Laertes Ursus

Vicious Knight

13,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:11 pm
Oh, ha. Let's see if I can explain them, then.

Blast is your typical ranged attack (blasts of energy, arrows, bullets, etc). By Blast 5, that means it's 5th rank, so it has a +5 damage (with your +5 attack, it's the max you could get). With the Penetrating extra, you reduce all Impervious Toughness by 5 (so if someone had Impervious Toughness 6, you make it Impervious 1/Toughness 6, so you can hurt it better!). I threw in the Precise Feat into each of your powers, because it allows you to be EXTREMELY precise with all your shots.

Same as above, but instead of one really powerful shot (with Penetrating), you get a line of shots. Anyone in a 5'x125' line can be hit, be it friend or foe. Good for the good ol' tommygun strafe. Precise will help you write your name as you gun baddies down!

More of a shotgun effect. Hits everyone with a 50' cone. Precise to do fancy crap with it, like NOT hitting something important that the target is holding. Because you're that darned good.

The way Perception powers work, is that if you can see someone with it, you can hit someone with it. No attack roll needed, but you can't get critical hits with it. Precise for getting them right between the eyes! Sniper mode, activate.

Autofire, for gunning down that sorry mutha f'er for getting in yo' grill. You can get a smaller line with this (5x25'), but it will give you a penalty per square, so not as valid of an option as the Line one from before. For every 2 points you roll over your target's defense, your damage goes up by 1 (to a maximum of +5 damage). If you don't want to worry about multiple foes or very durable ones, this one will probably be the one for you. Precise for managing to gun down someone holding a hostage without hitting the hostage!

This one is a bit weaker than the rest. Basically, you give up 1 rank of Blast for some tricky stuff. Two ranks of Ricochet allows you to bounce a bullet off of two surfaces before it hits a target. Split Attack allows you to target up to two different targets per turn, up to a maximum of your power rank (4). So you can attack two people with only a +2 damage to each, or a +3 and +1, etc, as long as the damage to each shot totals 4 (or higher as your power goes up). One attack roll for everyone attacked, so it's like a quick double-tap. Precise to not damage that ming vase your bouncing bullets off of!

All in all, a set of different ways to use a gun in combat, depending on your gun. The area powers (line, cone) do not have Selective Attack, so you can still hurt your allies with them. But this is still you, being more deadly with a gun than any ol' shmo who picks up a gun will be. For instance, a submachine gun does +4 damage, a heavy pistol +4, a light pistol +3, a sniper rifle +5... Since almost all of these do +5, you're as good, if not better, with these guns on an average day.

On top of that, and different than what you were trying to do with the Weapon Summoning... you GET BETTER as you gain more power points. The way you did it before, by the time you would get to Power Level 10, your attacks would all be outdated; this way, you advance as you go, getting better and deadlier as your superluck develops smile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:47 pm
So, have I convinced you to stick with it and just use a simpler mechanic? Or still withdrawing?  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:45 pm
Do we need a subforum for the game to be in? And do we have any idea how many months it might be before we will all have the time to start? I only say months because I know that everyone in this has a busy life except me. And My life rarely intervenes most of the time. sweatdrop

Whenever this begins, it's going to be fun.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:06 pm
Wire_Colossus
Do we need a subforum for the game to be in? And do we have any idea how many months it might be before we will all have the time to start? I only say months because I know that everyone in this has a busy life except me. And My life rarely intervenes most of the time. sweatdrop

Whenever this begins, it's going to be fun.

I'm basically planning on world-setting-building as soon as I know if we have 4 or 3 (basically, waiting on confirmation from Laertes Ursus on if he still plans on dropping).

I have the first issue more or less planned out. I've been getting rough details for the next couple, and I want to have it written from at least Issue #1-20 3nodding

I'll create a subforum for it, since M&M has the tendency to be quick-paced with the right group.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:22 pm
I have a feeling the guy isn't going to answer; thinking that he said it clear as possible. Though I could very well be wrong.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff