Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold?
  :D
View Results

Strix Varia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:15 pm
Ok, this might sound like a childish topic, but it can get very complicated.

Does homework lead to a lower score on a test?

Does is cause too much stress?

How many mins/hours should the average highschool/college student spend on homework?

And finally, post anything else to support your speech.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:24 pm
Doing one's homework is the best way to improve your test score. Homework is essentially practice for a test. If a person does their homework, the only thing it can do is improve the grade on their test. Not doing homework will hurt one's test score. While it causes stress, homework is a necessity. Without it, there is no practice, and the student would not learn much from simply taking notes.

I think it'd be alright if the normal student had two hours of homework for each weekday, so ten hours a week. Of course they'd have more homework during a project, but ten hours a week as a minimum, or at least as a standard. As a college student I usually spend aobut 15-20 hours a week on homework, sometimes more.  

Der Freischuetz

bluecherry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:15 pm

Homework is good for practice, but the only potential problem that comes up is often you can spend a long time working on an assignment having remembered lessons incorrectly and you are now working without the teacher to be able to correct you. You can end up wasting lots of time getting convinced of false information. Some things you can check for correctness on the internet, like history assignments, but you may not be able to look up things like individual math problems or have how to do them explained how you need it to easily found on the internet and perhaps the book confused you too. The only way to fix this problem really would be longer classes instead of taking work home and doing it at school, but then you have to pay for running the schools longer so....bleh.D:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:39 am
homework isn'r bad, it can get a little stressful sometimes, especially when six out of seven of your teachers ask for a project for the weekend. But my personal problam with stress come with studying. If you cram the night before and all that junk, you tend to be really stressed out.  

Neffir08

AliasL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:09 pm
Homework is supposed to be for our own good. However, sometimes, it has a negative affect, and sometimes hinders the ammount of sleep you get. Why just last week, I had spent all my waking hours of my three day weekend, working on a science project with my science partner. Then, I had no time left to do my Geometry homework. I had to spend the Monday I came back to school working on two days worth of math homework. After that, I had a children's book story due two days later. I spent the Tuesday working on the outlines for each drawing. The next day, I worked from 4 o'clock untill 3 o'clock in the morning finishing up. I only had two hours of sleep before waking up to finish math homework. Then, I had a difficult math test to take. I still don't know if I did that well. All and all, it was an exaughsting 8 days! I'm only in 8th grade too. Homework seems to expand over the years, more and more. My mother, who got a bachelors degree in nursing and science, a genius, couldn't understand my math homework at all. I'm surprised I'm even passing. Anyway, I don't believe in homework. Homework is school trying to control your life. I applaud those who try to get all their work done, nevertheless. However, I don't think you should have to try to complete 5 hours worth of homework every night. Two to four hours is quite enough.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:34 pm
i dont really know much about this topic, but what i do know is this: since ive been going to school, ive only studied for 3 tests (and one was the driver's test) and the two tests i studied for other than the driver's test were some of my lowest test scores ive gotten. they may have just been harder tests, though. like i said, i dont know.  

shadow_alchemist92

cocoONneptune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:24 pm
homework really isnt that that bad. The only bad things about it is when a teacher doesnt explain/teach stuff to you, piles too much at one time, and then realizes that half of the freakin stuff isnt in the freakin book. like right now where i'm supposedly suppose to look up a couple of people from the revolutionary war in our history book but hey look at that NONE OF THESE FREAKIN PEOPLE ARE IN THERE. burning_eyes total waste of time.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:42 pm
if the homework is giving by the same person writting the exam, you should memorize every problem on there. A lot of teachers recycle problems from homework and put them on their exams. I passed a college level chemistry course this way. Conceptually I should have failed, but I knew how to memorize and work the system.  

OldManWiggins

animenintendo516

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:49 am
I have about 3 hrs a day. but I play football and lacrosse, so homework kills me in the fall and spring. Not tommention, because I take all Honors classes, my teachers kill me with practice problems. I loathe homework. studying is fine by me, but i really hate homework. If I understand the concept, why must I be forced to repeat it 20 times?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:05 pm
Doing homework is like excersizing. Only it's for the brain. And like Excersizing, if it's done too much, you exhaust the body, and leave it numbed, and in horrible condition.
Honestly, a child doesn't need hours of homework every night in order to remain intelligent. Just enough so that the idea remains clear in his head everyday.  

Baulder

Ravin-Ember

Lonely Phantom

14,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:04 pm
Homework is stupid it is making me fail my geometry class because: One, I never have the time to do it all. Two, I got a 35 on my last test because I couldn't stay awake bcause I spent the entire day and night before, getting no sleep at all, doing homework (nothing else).  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:50 pm
I think the best thing for a college student is between 3 and 4 hours a day. That's what I usually did two semesters ago. And instead of giving homework every single ******** class, give it every 2 classes, otherwise the homework will become really stressful.

And, for the love of God, don't get too excited about leaving homework! I think I'll always remember the digital electronics homework, which usually implied staying at the electronics lab for 5-7 hours, as well as pulling several all-nighters at college, with nothing but a can of Red Bull keeping your awakeness for 36 straight hours. During this semester, I constantly felt sleepy, I gained at least 10 pounds because I didn't even had time to touch the gym for one single hour, I drank a total of 5 cans of Red Bull (which is really outrageous for me, since I only leave it for extreme emergencies), I had to get several appointments with the school counselor because all that stress was driving me nuts, I never got to draw or read something because I was doing the homework, and I even fell sick the first month after all that stress was starting to creep inside my body.  

Da_Nuke

orakuru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:01 am
Having homework can't lead the student to lower grades, because it allows their brain to get more practice at it, as well as retaining the lesson better. Also, it enables the child to find out what he really does not understand about the lesson, and he can ask the teacher questions to clarify the whole thing up.

The only time that doing homework actually causes stress is when the student has yet to do it and it needs to be passed in a couple of minutes. Teachers give students ample time to finish homework, and then some. It would only be the student's fault if he/she was unable to finish it on time.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:34 pm
Does homework lead to a lower score on a test?
No, I believe higher because you need the practice to be able to get a good grade.

Does is cause too much stress?
Hell yes!! I'm always stressing out over my homework!!

How many mins/hours should the average highschool/college student spend on homework?
Well, I spend about 2 hours a day. I think it could be a little less, but it depends on what you have. If you have just a few worksheets, you should spend as much time as needed on them in order to complete them, if it's research, well until you feel you have enough information. There really is not set limit on how much you should and do spend on your homework. It depends on the person and subjects/what it is.

And finally, post anything else to support your speech.
Well, I can't stand homework, but I do it anyways. I am constantly on the go to get the highest grades possible. You have to do your homework, how do you expect to pass your classes? I hate when people don't do their homework because they don't 'feel like it'. It's very lazy! It shows how they are going to be when they get older too. You can't do a simple[ish] task over night. Yes, things come up, but I'm talking about the people who are too lazy to do it.  

razzledazzle5160

chibi_kasumi_108

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:06 pm
I don't think homework should be abolished or anything. After all, one needs practice to become proficient in anything. However, there's no reason to give 100 problems doing the same exact thing. That's just going to burn the students out and make them hate school. If you don't get the hang of it after 10 to 15 problems, you probably need help that you're not going to be able to get at home anyway, since most of parents didn't do the stuff you're doing in highschool and even middle school until they got to college.

I wouldn't say it brings your grade down on tests but can bring a students grade down overall. Often times, I'd make A's on all my tests but never hand my homework in so I'd only end up making a C average or so.

In short: Homework's ok. Just make sure it's relevent and put a limit on the ammount.  
11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff