is stem-cell research good?
  no. tis pure evil
  yes. will save lives
  other
  GIVE ME GOLD!!!!!
View Results

shadow_alchemist92

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:31 pm
What do you think? is it good or bad? my opinion is that it is bad. i agree with religious groups in the fact that it could lead to cloning, however, unlike them, i dont hate cloning because its immoral. i just happen to know that a society of mindless clones could easily overthrow "normal" human beings. to understand this, you must understand what consciousness is. in short, it is our ability to recognize our existance, or being aware of our awareness. it isnt just being awake. unconscious beings (or bicameral) can think and reason, but they arent affected by prejedice, insecure beliefs, or other disruptive factors. in other words, bicameral beings would be like a human in "animal mode", but with the ability to reason. thus, they could think clearer and eventually take over society as a whole. (although this has gotten off the subject of stem-cell research, stem-cell research would lead to this eventually)  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:33 pm
Okay, I laughed hard for about 20 minutes after reading this. rofl Then I realised you were serious. Let me try and break it down for you...

A clone is a human. Just as much a human as you or me. If a genetic clone of you were to be created it's genetic relation to you would be that of a brother or sister. It would be as if your parents had another child.

Disregarding your cheezy horror film story line argument, stem cell research is a field that could revolutionize medicine. It is basically a cure-all for humanity if we can get more research funds into it. Stem cells are cells which can be made into any cell in the human body. It would abolish cancer, diabetes, blindness and basically any other physical disorder you can name.  

EJ_Nova

Tactical Lunatic

12,050 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

[ Mod ] James

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:02 pm
Well in that case i would have to agree that stem-cell research is bad. We dont need any more ways to make humans live longer than they already need to. They already destroy enough of their own world and if we perfect stem cells then the world will become even more overpopulated and annoying. ((im sad cus no one has replied to my ranting on humans yet))  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:32 pm
Squicks
Okay, I laughed hard for about 20 minutes after reading this. rofl Then I realised you were serious. Let me try and break it down for you...

A clone is a human. Just as much a human as you or me. If a genetic clone of you were to be created it's genetic relation to you would be that of a brother or sister. It would be as if your parents had another child.

Disregarding your cheezy horror film story line argument, stem cell research is a field that could revolutionize medicine. It is basically a cure-all for humanity if we can get more research funds into it. Stem cells are cells which can be made into any cell in the human body. It would abolish cancer, diabetes, blindness and basically any other physical disorder you can name.

let me ask you ask you a question. do you study psychology? if you do, you should realize that consciousness cant be created by humans. they arent even sure where it originates or how it works. what they do know is that without consciousness, humans would think without disruption and could reason just as well as with consciousness. the only difference is that they would be, and i know some people will get the wrong idea when i say this, basically zombies.  

shadow_alchemist92

Epic Fail Girl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:45 pm
shadow_alchemist92

let me ask you ask you a question. do you study psychology? if you do, you should realize that consciousness cant be created by humans. they arent even sure where it originates or how it works. what they do know is that without consciousness, humans would think without disruption and could reason just as well as with consciousness. the only difference is that they would be, and i know some people will get the wrong idea when i say this, basically zombies.

What is your definition of consciousness? Because from what you wrote, it certainly does differ from mine.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:48 pm
Squicks

I'm a 100% with Squicks in this aspect.

Also, stem cells are used to improve our lives, not to take away from it. Stem cells in no way whatsoever threaten our being. If people were really sure they wanted to start creating human clones, I believe it would(may) have already happened.  

Epic Fail Girl

EJ_Nova

Tactical Lunatic

12,050 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:05 pm
shadow_alchemist92
Squicks

Actually, yes I do study psychology. Yes, we do not understand consiousness and yes, we can not re-create it. That has nothing to do with cloning. It seems that you have no idea how cloning works. I dont want to type it all out so here's a link to the article on wiki. To summarize my point: cloning involves creating a new human the same way it happens in the womb just with mechanical analogs. Scientists don't need to understand or create consiousness in the clone because nature will take care of it. Clones aren't created spontaneously as adults, that would be ridiculous. I can't see how that would ever have a practical application. Cloning is directing nature, not re-writing it. You need to lay off those old sci-fi movies. They'll really get to your head... rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:17 pm
Vermillioncurse
Well in that case i would have to agree that stem-cell research is bad. We dont need any more ways to make humans live longer than they already need to. They already destroy enough of their own world and if we perfect stem cells then the world will become even more overpopulated and annoying. ((im sad cus no one has replied to my ranting on humans yet))

I haven't replied to you because people like you annoy me. Do you feel that villifying the human race will somehow spare you the same fate? If you hate humanity so much why not just kill yourself? You're taking up my air. stare  

EJ_Nova

Tactical Lunatic

12,050 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

shadow_alchemist92

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:43 pm
Squicks
shadow_alchemist92
Squicks

Actually, yes I do study psychology. Yes, we do not understand consiousness and yes, we can not re-create it. That has nothing to do with cloning. It seems that you have no idea how cloning works. I dont want to type it all out so here's a link to the article on wiki. To summarize my point: cloning involves creating a new human the same way it happens in the womb just with mechanical analogs. Scientists don't need to understand or create consiousness in the clone because nature will take care of it. Clones aren't created spontaneously as adults, that would be ridiculous. I can't see how that would ever have a practical application. Cloning is directing nature, not re-writing it. You need to lay off those old sci-fi movies. They'll really get to your head... rofl

ok, i see your point now. i wasnt thinking of cloning as starting it in the womb, i was thinking that it was like starting a lifeform already outside of the womb. thanks for clearing that up for me  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:00 pm
Squicks
Vermillioncurse

I haven't replied to you because people like you annoy me. Do you feel that villifying the human race will somehow spare you the same fate? If you hate humanity so much why not just kill yourself? You're taking up my air. stare

I do not believe i will be spared, but suicide is pointless. i would much rather wait for the day and watch as all humanity is destroyed by its ignorance. Although i believe people that commit suicide are smart and overcoming of basic human drives, i am not ccapable of killing myself. I lack the willpower and necessity to do so.
By telling me i should kill myself and that i am taking up Your air you are just proving my main point that humans are selfish greedy monsters.

now i am very bored...

[ Mod ] James

EJ_Nova

Tactical Lunatic

12,050 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:13 pm
Vermillioncurse

I do not believe i will be spared, but suicide is pointless. i would much rather wait for the day and watch as all humanity is destroyed by its ignorance. Although i believe people that commit suicide are smart and overcoming of basic human drives, i am not ccapable of killing myself. I lack the willpower and necessity to do so.
By telling me i should kill myself and that i am taking up Your air you are just proving my main point that humans are selfish greedy monsters.

now i am very bored...

If you are not willing to try and change it, you are just as much a problem as the rest of humanity, so why do you bother existing? You just sit back and criticize without offering any solutions, so stfu kid. I'm bored of your whining.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Squicks

If you are not willing to try and change it, you are just as much a problem as the rest of humanity, so why do you bother existing? You just sit back and criticize without offering any solutions, so stfu kid. I'm bored of your whining.

Oh look the worst of all human traits is beginning to sprout up out of Squicks...ANGER! no need to be angry here, unless you want to break the rules and get kicked out. I like how everyone always says "Well then why not try to change it?" why??? it doesnt matter why because your not doing anything to help either. I dont bother to exist...and you are a hypocrit. Unless you are in the newspaper changing the world then you cant criticize me and I cant criticize you either so i am trying my best not to. But as you said if i tried to "offer any solutions" to better the planet they would easily be discarded like a piece of trash because my ideas arent appealing to everyone else. and if you are bored of my "whining" then quit responding to it.  

[ Mod ] James

EJ_Nova

Tactical Lunatic

12,050 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:24 pm
Vermillioncurse
Squicks

Oh look the worst of all human traits is beginning to sprout up out of Squicks...ANGER! no need to be angry here, unless you want to break the rules and get kicked out. I like how everyone always says "Well then why not try to change it?" why??? it doesnt matter why because your not doing anything to help either. I dont bother to exist...and you are a hypocrit. Unless you are in the newspaper changing the world then you cant criticize me and I cant criticize you either so i am trying my best not to. But as you said if i tried to "offer any solutions" to better the planet they would easily be discarded like a piece of trash because my ideas arent appealing to everyone else. and if you are bored of my "whining" then quit responding to it.

Why do you think I'm angry? I'm not the one using three question marks. Lolz. rolleyes I'm not criticizing you for not doing anything. I'm criticizing you for complaining while not doing anything. You have nothing to complain about. You're a whiny little kid who's been spoiled rotten. Grow up. Now I will quit responding to you because I've made my point and you're not the type of person to be swayed by well, anyone. You've made your decision to hate the world, so you are going to live a lonely life. I only hope for your sake it isn't a very long one.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:35 pm
I am being a hypocrit by posting a response but...im bored...sooooooo...

#1. In not lonely and i laugh at people who think because i hate everything i ahve a lonely life.

#2. pfh, spoiled my a**, if i am spoiled then why should i hate everything.

#3. lol three question marks. i guess your right. ???RWAR QUESTION MARKS!

#4. you proved a point how exactly?  

[ Mod ] James

11: The Intelligent Cogitation: For the Master Debaters

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas