Submit

Cheese?
  I like cheese!
  Are you insane?
  poll whore cheese?
View Results

brainfaded

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:40 pm
Yay, Astronomy! I hope you don't mind my posting here, but I have listings from a book called "Touring the Universe, A Practical Guide to Exploring the Cosmos through 2017" by Ken Graun. These are the dates of a lot of astronomy stuff. Enjoy!

User Image

Lunar eclipses
User Image

solar eclipses
User Image

Moon phases
User Image  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:58 pm
Hi!
That sounds like a cool book. ^_^ and I don't mind that you posted those. In fact thanks for posting them. ^_^ I always forget dates of stuff like that so it's useful to have it all here in this thread.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150

Kra~Kloi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:17 pm
Yay! There's going to be a total solar eclipse by Washington! I'm so excited! Just... 11 more years to go! n.n

Isn't there supposed to be another on near Washington in 2024? Let me get my astronomy book. It has a spiffy map and everything. :3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:29 am
kloi_of_xelio
Yay! There's going to be a total solar eclipse by Washington! I'm so excited! Just... 11 more years to go! n.n

Isn't there supposed to be another on near Washington in 2024? Let me get my astronomy book. It has a spiffy map and everything. :3

yay! lol.
hum... I'm not sure. You'll have to look that up yourself cause the only info I have right now is what is posted here.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Kra~Kloi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:39 pm
AstronomyGirl
kloi_of_xelio

yay! lol.
hum... I'm not sure. You'll have to look that up yourself cause the only info I have right now is what is posted here.
There is going to be one in 2024, but it won't we in Washington. =( It's going to go from the Pacific Ocean, up through Mexico, it looks like it's going through Texas, up that way and into Maine and then then Atlantic Ocean. Well, it looks like it. This map doesn't have labels.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:28 pm
kloi_of_xelio
There is going to be one in 2024, but it won't we in Washington. =( It's going to go from the Pacific Ocean, up through Mexico, it looks like it's going through Texas, up that way and into Maine and then then Atlantic Ocean. Well, it looks like it. This map doesn't have labels.

ah. well at least it's not _too_ far away, like on the other side of the world, so it is possible that you could go and see it anyways.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Bewitching_NightShade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:49 am
The ecplise in Australia on 4th December 2002. OMFG I was there and it was awesome beyond anything ever! Baliey's Bead, the stillness of the creeping shadows, the polarized light through the clouds. Man I was in totality *woot* Planning to go to the one in 2012 in Far North Queensland.

Don't forget about the spectcular events in November either, the Leonid showers And there is also another Venus transit the Sun in the next 6 ? years. Got to see that last year too. YAY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:34 pm
Bewitching_NightShade
The ecplise in Australia on 4th December 2002. OMFG I was there and it was awesome beyond anything ever! Baliey's Bead, the stillness of the creeping shadows, the polarized light through the clouds. Man I was in totality *woot* Planning to go to the one in 2012 in Far North Queensland.

Don't forget about the spectcular events in November either, the Leonid showers And there is also another Venus transit the Sun in the next 6 ? years. Got to see that last year too. YAY

ooo! cool! ^_^ I've never seen a solar eclipse. They never seem to come past where I am, and I've never had the time or money to travel to see one. xp
Same with meteor showers. Just when I get a chance to go and try and see them it's always cloudy! scream I think nature hates me or something. stare blaugh  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Bewitching_NightShade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:49 am
AstronomyGirl
Bewitching_NightShade

ooo! cool! ^_^ I've never seen a solar eclipse. They never seem to come past where I am, and I've never had the time or money to travel to see one. xp
Same with meteor showers. Just when I get a chance to go and try and see them it's always cloudy! scream I think nature hates me or something. stare blaugh

I guess I am lucky! Have seen an amazing lunar eclipse - it was the longest theoretically possilbe eclipse very shiny. the leonids a few years ago were awesome. My husband and I sat outside at 2am and watched, maybe 10-15 meteors burn up. The were so bright that the dog kept going out the front of the house to see where they landed rofl Maybe you should learn to weather work!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:28 am
Bewitching_NightShade
AstronomyGirl

I guess I am lucky! Have seen an amazing lunar eclipse - it was the longest theoretically possilbe eclipse very shiny. the leonids a few years ago were awesome. My husband and I sat outside at 2am and watched, maybe 10-15 meteors burn up. The were so bright that the dog kept going out the front of the house to see where they landed rofl Maybe you should learn to weather work!

ooo cool!
yea I've seen a lunar eclipse before. It was cloudy all evening, except for a few min around the peak of the eclipse so I was able to see it. ^_^ It was cool.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

AnitaAngelo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:20 pm
I'm going to make you all jealous of me...I've seen two Solar Eclipses in my life...

Okay, they were both partial...

The first was May 10th 1994. I was in elementary school and I remember our teacher giving us all special glasses so we could stand out on the blacktop and stare up at the sun and see the shadow.

The second was Christmas Day 2000. My whole family and I sat in our backyard. We had some of the speical glasses, and dad brought home several weilding helmets from work (which actually worked a lot better then the glasses...I could watch the sun and the shadow AND still see the sky around me (weilding helmets have a special sheilding on them that changes the tint...so everything was green, but I could still see it all...))

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:09 pm
blaugh I've seen two eclipses. The first was a partial eclipse of the sun, in 2002. The second was a total lunar eclipse in 2004, which was a minor miracle, considering I was in Portland (Oregon) at the time, and it was the middle of winter. The weather there is usually cloudy and rainy most of the winter, but that winter was completely bizarre, so it was entirely clear and I got to watch the whole thing.  

Endrael

Codger

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:25 pm
oo lucky!!
I've only seen one, and that was a lunar eclipse. I think it was back in 2004. I would LOVE to see a solar one though. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:29 pm
thats so cool ill be 27 when it comes to a solar eclipse stare but sure hey thats cool stuff.  

dfhhdghfgfg

72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces