AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500
  • Planetary Technician 150
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:01 pm
Constellation Thread

This thread is all about constellations. ^_^ Feel free to post about what your favourite one is, or talk about the different stories and myth behind the shapes.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:06 pm
Me? my favourite constellation is... Orion. For a few reasons. Mainly cause it was the first constellation I ever found. I was ... don't even remember, but I was little, and I thought it was so cool that I wrote down the time and day and direction I saw it so that I could find it again some time. Since then Orion has been the constellation that I can find the fastest. any any given time that it's above the horizon, I know where it is. lol.
Since then it's become a nickname for something special to me... which makes the name even more special. ^_^  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Konyako Kitsuneko Konoe

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:10 am
Oooh, my first post is in the science subforum....

Oh yeah! My favorite constellation is also my zodiac sign, Scorpio/Scorpius. Well, it looks like this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
((If it doesn't show up, I'll try finding another one))

I kind of like it because its main star (Antares) is a red super giant way larger than our sun. The whole constellation in general makes me realize that I have a great future in store for me and that I could achieve and excel in whatever I set my mind to! It also makes me feel that there's still hope for the world due to the arrow-like shape for dreams to possibly come true! 4laugh

[[This is kinda off-topic but I like your avatar! It's smart and chic! =D]]  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:17 pm
Konyako Kitsuneko Konoe
Oooh, my first post is in the science subforum....

Oh yeah! My favorite constellation is also my zodiac sign, Scorpio/Scorpius.

I kind of like it because its main star (Antares) is a red super giant way larger than our sun. The whole constellation in general makes me realize that I have a great future in store for me and that I could achieve and excel in whatever I set my mind to! It also makes me feel that there's still hope for the world due to the arrow-like shape for dreams to possibly come true! 4laugh

[[This is kinda off-topic but I like your avatar! It's smart and chic! =D]]

ooo! cool! ^_^ (yea your picture showed up ok) That's an interesting reason for liking that constellation. ^_^  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

birchamasprime

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:06 am
AstronomyGirl
Me? my favourite constellation is... Orion. For a few reasons. Mainly cause it was the first constellation I ever found. I was ... don't even remember, but I was little, and I thought it was so cool that I wrote down the time and day and direction I saw it so that I could find it again some time. Since then Orion has been the constellation that I can find the fastest. any any given time that it's above the horizon, I know where it is. lol.
Since then it's become a nickname for something special to me... which makes the name even more special. ^_^

Orion is the only one i no and the only one i can find. I cant remember what the others look like.  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:48 am
birchamasprime
Orion is the only one i no and the only one i can find. I cant remember what the others look like.

lol cool. It was that way with me for the longest time as well. I didn't know of anyothers or what they looked like. That changed though when one year for my birthday my dad got me this kit that has a planetsphere and guild books to finding constellations and all that. Since then I've been able to find a lot more. ^_^  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Aurora Sing
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:50 pm
I love stars
They are so shiny and pretty whee

Do I have your birthday in the main forum????  
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:01 am
Aurora Sing
I love stars
They are so shiny and pretty whee

Do I have your birthday in the main forum????

birthday? I can't remember if I said what my birthday was. I'll go do that now.  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

cocoONneptune

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:01 pm
actually the first constellation i ever really noticed was the big dipper. Which is part of a different constellation...i dont remember now...well i know its part of something else... well... ya..Orion is the second constelation i ever noticed...but ya...reason why i like the big dipper.. no clue.  
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:14 pm
cocoONneptune
actually the first constellation i ever really noticed was the big dipper. Which is part of a different constellation...i dont remember now...well i know its part of something else... well... ya..Orion is the second constelation i ever noticed...but ya...reason why i like the big dipper.. no clue.

The bigger constellation that it's part of is Ursa Major. (Big Bear)
lol for me the big dipper was the second constellation I ever found. 3nodding  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

cocoONneptune

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:51 pm
AstronomyGirl
cocoONneptune

ya thats what its called. and the small dipper thing is called like ursal minor..right?  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:56 pm
cocoONneptune
AstronomyGirl
cocoONneptune

ya thats what its called. and the small dipper thing is called like ursal minor..right?

Ursa minor. Yep. 3nodding  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Misstress_Sinthia

Dangerous Elocutionist

27,675 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:12 am
I love Dracos the Dragon. I see Orion every night so I just bounce to the 7 Sisters and Yaurus from him but Dracos has that coiled look as if watching the night sky for passers by about it  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:44 am
Misstress_Sinthia
I love Dracos the Dragon. I see Orion every night so I just bounce to the 7 Sisters and Yaurus from him but Dracos has that coiled look as if watching the night sky for passers by about it

ah. indeed. Draco is a very interesting constellation. A pretty big one too. I don't think I've been able to see it all yet. blaugh  

AstronomyGirl

Planetary Astronomer

57,900 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • That One Hero 500

Bewitching_NightShade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:18 am
Here is an interesting thing about Orion. We all know that he is a hunter, correct? In Australian Aboriginal culture, I am not sure which tribe this is specific to, Orion is the representation of boys hunting emus. Isn't it fascinating that both references to that constellation deal with hunting!

I love stars so much.

72: Science & Astronomy Hangout

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces