Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

medigel

Anxious Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:49 pm
a fitting crown

At their own feast, Fela had picked up flower crown making on the fly so that she could compliment her most precious blue, her favorite flower child. It was a simple but fun tradition she wanted to pass on to the next class, and it doubled as an excuse to visit with them. Not that Fela ever needed an excuse to socialize or drop herself in on people, but she knew pretenses sometimes helped. It certainly did with Sophrosunth growing up, as he had been a serene but shy dragonet, gently fretting about everything, even the smallest of worries that might come up. And now they saw that at least one of the newly clutched suffered from a similar neurosis.

Winter might have arrived, but it wasn't going to stop her from trying. Truly, little could.

Carrying their gifts in his mouth, and ever so conscious to not get saliva on it, Sophrosunth hopped off his ledge and began to glide in a wide circle. Young Anakumath, ah, I hope I am not interrupting anything, he said in his usual chipper, polite tone. Mine and I--that is, I am blue Sophrosunth of Fela-- we have an early Turnover present for you and yours, if you have a moment.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:09 pm
the nose knows

"Their selections have been sparse this month," Fela said with a dramatic sigh. If Martirae allowed, she would have taken the woman's arm as one did a close friend as they browsed the wares available on rest day. The stall before them on this chosen, spontaneous shopping spree, was a perfume vendor, though not the one Fela would have preferred. It seemed High Reaches was doubling down on its policy of no fun ever even when it came to the merchants--thanks, Obama Western.

Would these give her the lovely fragrances she was used to, that signaled her approach like a silent alarm? Truly, woe was her.

"Well, if nothing else, a Turn's End gift is somewhere around here," she continued.

Sophrosunth snorted softly. You have so many in mind, dear heart. Will you be able to carry it all?

"That's what you're for, you big, blue dolt," Fela replied affectionately. "I let you free last year because you were a growing boy, but now you're a man! And real men help ladies out."

demon_pachabel

medigel

Anxious Spirit

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:23 pm
A Fitting Crown

There was a little time before the others would be joining them for lunch, and while Mictecath and Nyanarau were frequent company usually enjoyed, the two had wanted just a bit of time to soothe Anakumath's nerves. While not afraid of the responsibility that would be placed upon her shoulders, the gold simply didn't like being reminded so much that there were eyes on them. That there would be eyes on them. Martirae simply stroked her head, her own self-confidence at battle with her anxiety, like a strong man fighting off the jaws of a feline that wanted their throat.

If only such security in her self could have helped so easily.

An unfamiliar voice jolted the young gold, her almost permanently yellow eyes turning up towards the skies to see if she could spot the speaker. Greetings, Sophrosunth. You certainly don't need to bring me any presents besides your company, she bid, leaning into her beloved who was still pulling at that knot in the little gold's heart.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:24 pm
The Nose Knows

Martirae was not a woman adverse to physical contact, so if Fela had wished to, she would not have pushed her away. "It is a luxury item and the cold season I'm sure has an influence on what ingredients are available," she pointed out, allowing herself to idly take one of the scent-soaked bamboo sticks to sniff. Had she been smaller still, Anakumath would have been as interested in sniffing such wares. Still so young, having to be parted in small spaces pained both woman and dragon's hearts.

"Perhaps. Not many I know would use such a thing, however," she mused, trading her first scent sample for another. Perfume had never been something Marty had spent much time thinking about before.

What is the purpose of these scents? Anakumath inquired of the older blue, having taken up a post as close to one of the doors inside as she reasonably could without being in the way. Being golden, there were few who would have actually booted her from her position of pining for Hers to return.

Medigel

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

medigel

Anxious Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:59 pm
a fitting crown

Ah, then you are lucky: I can give my presence as well as presents! Presently, even! He hwonked as he slowly glided towards them, arcing away to land a small distance away. Normally more graceful, Soph was stiff necked as he padded to a stop, as he feared even jostling their gifts might make them come undone, whatever Fela had told him. It occurred to him that there was probably a better way to hold on to the crowns, such as a wing talon or his headknobs, but ah well.

He turned to greet the pair with his characteristic blue-green gaze, but his paw paused mid-air. Anakumath's anxiety was almost palpable to him even from afar, and he wondered if now really was the best time to be intruding, even for a short period. Her yellow eyes did give him some concern, though he knew that Hers was most assuredly taking care of it. And surely many others did fret as well. It was a cycle the blue understood very well, and his hearts went out to her as he reached with a soothing touch. I can come another time, he offered, speaking to both Anakumath and Martirae. Long day?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:21 pm
the nose knows

Ah, Sophrosunth began, with the eagerness of a teacher, think of it as another human adornment, like jewelry but more subtle. MyFela is down to earth about everything save for two: her hair, and her perfume. It delights the nose, doesn't it? Had he been closer, the blue would have taken a deep breath of the aromas--though it was probably best he didn't, as sometimes it caused him to sneeze.

Fela waved away the reasoning like it was a pesky bug. "There's a man I like to go to for these things, but he's not here this time. When he does show up, I absolutely hafta show you; makes this stuff look like flavored water."

The merchant gave her a side-long look before continuing to reorganize a shelf of candles.

Unaware, or simply not caring, Fela reached for one such candle and took a sniff: minty, perfect for the season but very strong despite not being lit yet. She wrinkled her nose. "Any so far you like?" she asked Martirae.

Sophrosunth caught on to what His was thinking, and he settled on his haunches beside and slightly behind Anakumath to allow her the room to peek. Part of him wanted to give her a light touch in comfort, but as usual the blue restrained himself to be courteous. All of the little ones made him feel as much, both when the Tea surprise landed in their laps and now with the double clutch, but it was dragonets like Anakumath that made him consider going beyond simple propriety; perhaps that was Fela's nosiness and mothering leaking in.

Did you know scent has strong ties to memory? Soph asked, because if he was good for anything, it was talking to fill anxious little silences. I think that is another reason she lets herself have the luxury. It gives her comfort when things don't go the right way. There is one, I think called Flight of Fire, that her own father likes to use, so she in turn picked it up. Well, when a human male wears an aroma, it is apparently called a cologne, not a perfume, Soph amended with some amusement. I never did understand the dichotomy.

demon_pachabel

medigel

Anxious Spirit

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:48 am
A Fitting Crown
Ah! Such delightful wordplay! The slightest hints of green bled through the almost permanent yellows of Anakumath's expression, and Martirae took a deep breath, forcing ease into her normally guarded demeanor. If she was at ease, perhaps Anakumath would find similar. If only it was so easy.

Still, she urged the gold from her side. Anakumath didn't need too much of it to approach the older blue, mentally leaning into that soothing touch he offered. It washed over the hot worries of her mind, much like the love and support of her rider did. But you are here now, and that is not a problem, she answered. It is not that this day has been any longer than any others, Sophrosunth. Just worries I would never want to burden you with, though perhaps she should not have said so. Perhaps expressing she was worried would only make her visitor worry for her.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:14 am
The Nose Knows

Listening attentively to the explanation, Anakumath leaned into the doorway, inhaling deeply. Then, she sneezed. Oh! There are certainly a lot of things I have never smelled before, Anakumath agreed. She wasn't certain she liked how they mixed and mingled and tickled at her nose, however. Maybe one at a time would have been better.

"I see," it was a stiff answer, but it came from being less passionate about such a thing, rather than uninterested entirely. "I think the subtlety is nice."

Fela's inquiry wasn't exactly subtle, but Martirae didn't push her suspicion onto it. "There is a single scent I'd say I like more than others, but I don't know what it is called or even how to begin describing it," she answered, almost in frustration, sniffing another sample she'd been handed thoughtfully. "Do such trends come and go?" Like how certain cuts of clothing from turns back now were dated and not usually made unless someone custom ordered something.

The lingering thought drew a small keen from Anakumath, who wasn't sure why the question had stirred her beloved in such a way. Soon, however, Sophrosunth's talk seemed to fill in the answer she'd been looking for - a scent sought out in a blanket from childhood right before it was draped over a sleeping baby dragon. Perhaps it is the difference between Dragons and Whers to an untrained individual, Anakumath offered - that to those who knew why there was such a difference could see it very strongly.

It looks like they have oils in there as well - are those for the humans as well or do they actually make such things for us? it seemed like such a niche thing, and perhaps it was simply from a lack of meeting every single dragon she had yet to meet one who preferred such a thing.

medigel

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

medigel

Anxious Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:38 pm
a fitting crown

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Why was a young one fretting so much already? Well, part of it could be inferred by hide alone, but nonetheless...

He set his paw down and continued to extend a gentle touch, indeed worried but able to mask it in a peaceful aura. One had to, he had learned as he had grown, or else it perpetuated that cycle ad infinitum; one had to anyway, with someone as active and sociable as Fela. (I resemble that comment! she interjected.) And Sophrosunth so disliked adding to burdens just as Anakumath seemed to, even as he knew some things simply couldn't be taken alone. Then again, that was what her chosen was for, wasn't it? And she certainly could not have a shortage of friends, no? Bah, he was thinking too much again.

Mine was a mindhealer before I found her. She has found that an active listener for those heavy thoughts makes them lighter, the blue said. He would not be so forward as to push himself as a candidate for such a thing, of course. But it is also most important to have time to oneself! And so, I will make this brief.

Leaning down, Soph delicately placed the two flower crowns atop her headknobs, nudging them slightly to straighten them. However, calling them flower crowns might have been a misnomer: they were made with alternating cut outs of scroll paper and a thin, soft fabric, all with centered holes linked by threads of twine to hold its shape. A loose knot made it so that it could be adjusted as Anakumath grew, or if it didn't fit Martirae's head. One had the smell of lavender, the other of vanilla, most likely soaked into the fabric portions. When Soph stepped back to look at her, he hummed with approval.

The season won't allow us true flowers, he said, but, well. Mine is not so easily deterred. I have found that taking deep breaths of either scent is calming.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:50 pm
the nose knows

Sophrosunth chuffed. Perhaps it is. Although, what with whers being grounded and having a visually....distinct look...

"With the seasons, absolutely," Fela replied with a nod. "You're more likely to find peppermint and smoky flavors around this time, for instance, but more musk-like types in the fall, like...oh, what's the word..."

Patchouli.

"Patchouli, yes. That one, my father liked. Course, it's all about the commercializing," she continued, turning several bottles to see the names. "You force a 'scarcity' when it's 'not the right time', and shoppers'll clamor to get it once it goes back on sale. A smell's a smell t'me, personally, doesn't matter the weather." She turned to Martirae and wiggled their arms. "Anyway, try describing it! I've got a nose for these things~"

Sophrosunth tilted his head as he considered. I remember Fela purchasing one for me once. It smelled fantastic, but it also made my hide itch, he said. But I don't see why there wouldn't be a market for dragons and such, seeing how many of us there are. Perhaps we simply picked a dud. Or perhaps I am simply sensitive, ahah!

demon_pachabelx

medigel

Anxious Spirit

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:26 pm
A Fitting Crown

Is that so? Anakumath asked genuinely, seeming to consider the veiled offer Sophrosunth was making. He means for you to share your worries so they are lighter, not that you will take on the burdens of others by being a listening ear, Martirae clarified for the little gold, but she'd already latched on to the meaning she'd given the statement, taking it more easily as advice to take moving forward on behalf of others than for herself. I certainly do not need much time for myself, Anakumath began protesting, but paused, looking back to Martirae who gave her a disapproving frown. Do not strain yourself. It will only make him feel bad.

So, she didn't push it. Instead, she looked at the unusual item that the blue carried, straightening up a bit when he leaned down to set it upon her head. From her bond with Martirae, it was not difficult to recognize it as a flower crown - if not a little more resourcefully made than the usual kind. It is most lovely! Are my Martirae and I to match? There were two, and the notion seemed rather exciting to the younger dragon.

Martirae appraised the crown set upon the young queen's head, crossing her arms thoughtfully. It suits you. It was, after all, a crown any could wear.

Anakumath still seemed ever so delighted by the development. Do thank yours for the effort she must have put into making such a thing for the two of us.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:58 pm
Martirae's entire expression seemed to tighten at such a request. She'd not been bluffing when she talked about the difficulty in describing the scent she had in mind and trying to place it meant digging into a store of memory that hadn't been closed off, but there was a certain haze to it all. "Salty....and spicy. Not in an edible way though. Not floral, though."

It wasn't much of a description if she was honest.

"It's been years, it may not be something one can find now," or worse, something custom ordered.

Anakumath cheeped with concern at Sophrosunth's story. Oh, that was the opposite of what oil was meant to do on one's hide, and it only cemented that perhaps Anakumath needed no such thing. Though if they had any nice ones, she knew another dragon who would appreciate it so. She sent her hopeful thought along to Martirae who could look at such things. The woman made a note of it. Certainly there are. I am certain the demand changes depending on how one's goods are transported and where they are located as well. After all, for one dragon there were easily dozens of humans, perhaps even hundreds.

Medigel

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

medigel

Anxious Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:12 pm
a fitting crown

Indeed, you will. Soph beamed and nodded at her thanks. I also come with the promise that we will make a true crown once the weather permits. It has become something Mine and I like to take part in, and we would love to share it with you and Yours. I only wish it would continue to smell as sweet in the days to come as it does now...Ah well.

He paused, considering whether to add something, and then mildly continued, A goblet that is always filled will never get a chance to be cleaned. Always take time for yourself, my dear. That is a lesson I am still learning myself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:18 pm
the nose knows

"Salty and spicy," Fela repeated thoughtfully. "And not floral. Hmm." She peeled away from Martirae for the moment to go and sniff out the stores, leaving her at least a period of non-talkative, non-touchy silence.

Indeed it does, the blue said, pleased that she was thinking. It is, as many things in Pern are, a somewhat complicated process, with many seeming outliers in fact interconnected. And that is to say nothing of the stricter policies the weyr is now implementing. He grew a little more sober as he spoke. I am so very sorry that your Hatching had to be marked by such turbulent events, Anakumath.

demon_pachabelx

medigel

Anxious Spirit

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:13 am
A Fitting Crown

These are more than enough. Surely the others would enjoy their own? Anakumath offered instead. Though there were many she knew would not enjoy them so, there were others she thought would suit the look rather well. Dear Zezollath, or perhaps sweet Ileneth, or even darling Cythereath. No, she did not need another when she'd already been gifted one that would not wither with time. That will make it better to savor the scent in the now, perhaps.

The goblet analogy was not entirely lost on Anakumath. I....will try. Thank you. She didn't sound completely convinced of her ability to do just that, however.  
[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff