Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:56 pm
User ImageUser Image

It had been a long time since Aysu and Uthuli had fled the Mwezi'Johari, and they had made themselves quite comfortable in the small, mountainous pride they had found. It was peaceful here, far more peaceful than it had ever really been at home. They were happy and lived a quiet life.. until a group of Mwezi'Johari lions stumbled upon their safe haven and threatened everything. Their status as refugees wasn't exactly a secret but it wasn't exactly known, either. Lions from their homeland didn't necessarily represent a threat but it put them on edge nevertheless, especially Aysu. Thankfully, Kiwara found out early and was able to warn them.

Uthuli was Keeper of the shrine to the Moon.. it was their way of taking their beliefs with them, of adapting them to their lives outside the Mwezi'Johari.. and now it would be how they were found. To him, there was little point delaying the inevitable so he was tidying up the shrine for an expected influx of visitors.

"It's been so long, maybe we won't recognize any of them," Aysu said, sitting off to the side and watching her mate work.

"Maybe," Uthuli agreed, "Do you think many lions our age made a random trip around the mountain?"

"We're not that old."

"No, but it's been long enough that our grandchildren could have children."

Aysu frowned, thinking about the children she had left behind. They had no grandchildren here, none of Uthuli's daughters who followed them away had taken a mate.. but it seemed likely that her own children had. Lailah, at least, had a mate that Aysu had known about before leaving.

"I wonder if my father.." Aysu started, trailing off. Kivuli had always been a talented guard, and worked closely with the Head Guard. She wasn't sure if she could hope that either of them were still alive.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:01 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Ulili'mlindaji was a very different pride from the Mwezi'Johari, a fact that Matumaini understood intellectually, but was only beginning to appreciate. Onwa'ohuru was sleeping, finally getting the rest her healing injuries required, and the young Slave had decided to explore on his own. It was somewhat nervewracking when he considered that he really shouldn't be this far from home according to class customs, but wasn't that exactly why he should see as much as he could?

And yet, home was still on his mind, so when he spotted a shrine marked by a moon, he had to investigate. It didn't seem likely that it was dedicated to the Great Lion, but it was a speck of familiarity in a sea of the unknown.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:12 pm
The couple was so busy, one reminiscing and the other tidying up, that neither noticed when one quiet lion had finally found his way to their shrine. It was Aysu who noticed first and she jumped a bit out of sheer nerve but didn't realize right away who she was looking at. To an outsider, Matumaini looked at much Firekin as Mwezi.. but then she recognized the markings on him.

"Uthuli," she said, clearing her throat and wondering. This was her family. Malkia, Fafnir, Uruloki, Aza'ryuu and Mawaridi'nondo.. they were the ones marked like dragons. There was no other obvious trace of them in him, though. He looked rather like a stranger, and a young one at that.

Uthuli looked to Aysu when he heard him name and then followed her gaze to their visitor, just as startled as she was. He managed not to trip over himself and returned to the shrine's side to do his job. He didn't recognize the scales as quickly, but he naturally had a feeling this was one of the visiting Mwezi.

"Hello, welcome to the shrine to the moon," he greeted Matumaini while Aysu watched from a short distance away.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:15 pm
'Maini had to do a double-take when he saw the two lions inside the moon shrine. The lioness had the right colors - and a crescent moon on her forehead - to be from the Mwezi, but the lion absolutely had to be from Unyezi and Nerit's family. There was no other explanation for his appearance.

"Are...are you from the Mwezi?" the young lion asked, voice cracking in shock.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:26 pm
Aysu saw the look they got and knew she was right. She glanced behind him, wondering if there were more following him, and saw nobody.. so she came in closer and sat down beside Uthuli, who was strangely surprised by the sudden question.

"Yes," Uthuli answered, offering a small smile, "You must be part of the group that's visiting."

It had been so long since they left, they weren't likely to be well remembered by the Mwezi'Johari, even though Aysu left because she was a potential threat to Shangyue's control over the pride.. but Uthuli's identity was far less risky to reveal. It was also significantly harder to hide.

"This is Aysu," he said, "My name is Uthuli. My parents were Unyezi and Nerit."  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:30 pm
"I knew it!" The instant after the words left his mouth, 'Mani was mortified and blushed, the pink tinge just visible through his white fur. "I, uh, sorry," the younger lion apologized for his outburst. He didn't recognize Uthuli's name, but there was something about the lioness...

"Aysu..." he mused. "I think...I think I heard your name when someone was talking about Yareha?" That sounded right. They'd been talking about how Yareha wasn't the only one of Kivuli's kids to leave, and Aysu was another.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:39 pm
Both of them were startled when Matumaini recognized Aysu's name and specifically mentioned Yareha. They expected to be mostly forgotten themselves, they would never have imagined someone like Yareha to stay in the memory of any pride members.. but that was because neither of them knew that he had come home.

"Yareha was my brother," Aysu answered, shocked. Though her anger had softened over the years, she used the past tense referring to him for different reasons than Uthuli used past tense referring to his parents.

"Who are you?" Uthuli asked curiously.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:45 pm
It probably made a lot more sense to 'Maini that Aysu would be Yareha's brother - she looked about the right age - than it did to Aysu that he'd know who Yareha was. So he shouldn't be surprised by the question.

"Well, I'm Matumaini. My mom's Kimondo she's uh...the Queen," the last two words were said fairly quietly, so that Uthuli and Aysu might not catch them if they weren't paying strict attention. Then the white lion continued on hastily. "So my grandfather's Vesper and his mother was Aapep and her mother was Alcmene," he spat out in a hurry.

It had been a long time since he'd felt any need to regurgitate his lineage that far back, but he wasn't sure how long ago either of these two had left.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:56 pm
She's the queen.

Aysu and Uthuli exchanged a look. Neither of them knew how Shangyue's reign had turned out but both had, of course, hoped the pride would eventually overthrow him. As Maini rattled off his lineage, it became apparent that they had. That one of Vesper's children had taken the throne was a surprise, but hearing that it was Alcmene's line ruling again felt as right to them as it had to many of the Mwezi lions at the time Kimondo took over.

Both of them seemed at a loss for words at first, and so there was only silence for a moment before finally Aysu spoke up.

"It's nice to meet you, Matumaini," she said.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:00 pm
"It's nice to meet you too," 'Maini replied automatically. Some things, regardless of your destined class, were ingrained deep. He looked from one to the other and glanced around the shrine curiously.

"So...uh...you've been here ever since you...uh...left?" he asked inelegantly. "I suppose you, uh, want to know what happened?" Not that he really wanted to be tested on his history lessons today, but it from the looks they'd given each other, he had a feeling they had questions.

"Just, um, I don't actually know when you left." Which would be important. Sort of. Maybe? He hadn't been anywhere near alive then so he couldn't really know.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:17 pm
For all their fretting about being caught by the Mwezi'Johari here in the Ulili-mlindaji, faced with a shy prince who let them know as much as who was now in charge, they found they desperately wanted to know what happened in the time since they left. They could live long, peaceful lives here and not spare much thought for the pride they left behind.. but they couldn't ignore it when it was in front of them.

"We left sometime after Shangyue became king," Aysu answered cautiously, "It became apparent that I was not going to survive much longer if I stayed."

Though he hadn't asked why they left, Aysu felt compelled to explain herself. Maybe most Mwezi wouldn't understand, maybe her children wouldn't.. but that was her reason. Aysu was ready for a fight long before the rest of the pride caught up, the green-haired demon had taken special notice of her. She chose to survive rather than pick a losing fight alone..

"Is he dead?" Uthuli asked bluntly.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:22 pm
"Yes," 'Maini answered firmly. "Mom, uh, she did it. After a lion called Uchanjaa weakened him. He died too. Then I guess the Shaman had a hard time choosing who should rule. Especially because Liuhe, who was Shangyue's Heir, didn't want the job. But she picked Mom in the end."

The young lion shrugged helplessly as he summarized the basics. He wasn't sure what these two wanted to hear besides who was in charge. And it sounded like he was bragging about Kimondo even though he really wasn't...  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:27 pm
Aysu perked up at the mentioned of the shaman, now leaning forward slightly as if it would help her take in the story better. It sounded at first like they had traded one murderer for another but she was chosen by the shaman.. was that normally how it was done in a situation like that? She wasn't sure.

"Is Lailah K'chol still the shaman?" Uthuli asked, voicing a question Aysu surely had in her mind.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:30 pm
"Of course!" the young lion responded to that question instantly. "Who else would it be? I mean, there's the Clerics, her apprentices, but really, it couldn't be anyone else." 'Maini realized he was babbling and shut himself up quickly.

"Uh...what else did you want to know?" If he'd been better at his history, he might actually know if there was something specific he should tell these two. But while he could sort of place them in the great Mwezi families, that wasn't the same as knowing if they needed to know about Onwa's mom or something like that.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:41 pm
Of course.

It wasn't such a silly question when you thought about it, but that he seemed so surprised by it was a strangely reassuring sign. Aysu was not that old and she had lived through four monarchs and three shamans. She had no idea how Lailah had managed to stay safe and secure in the time since she had left but she was glad to hear it. The added threat to her daughter's safety had been another factor in her decision to leave, this made everything OK.

Uthuli sighed, glancing at Aysu and then back at Matumaini with a small smile. They could ask a million little questions but these were the things they needed to know. Shangyue was gone, long enough that this young lion seemed oblivious to the chaos they had grown up in.. they could find out more later.

"Thank you," Uthuli said, smiling, "I expect we'll see a lot of you while you're all staying here, this shrine has helped us make ourselves at home here. I hope it helps you while you're here."  
[IC] Ulili-Mlindaji Lands

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff