Submit

Myrsky Syntynyt

Hygienic Raider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:08 pm
Breytast Vindar
Start Date: Friday, 3 November 2017, 9pm EST
End Date: Saturday, 9 December 2017, 9pm EST

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:09 pm
It is the season of changing winds. Among the Stormborn, which is more or less a meritocracy, this is a time when anybody can attempt to better their station in the pride by proving their worth. This is how the pride ensures that those most fit to lead, the smartest and strongest of the pride, are not being led by inferiors.

During this time, and this time only, a reaver may challenge a captain for leadership of their band. A freeborn may challenge a priestess or lawspeaker for their position. A thrall may challenge a freeborn. A captain may challenge a warlord.

In some cases the challenged lion will lose their position to their challenger and in others only the challenger's position can change. Interested? Read on!

Myrsky Syntynyt

Hygienic Raider

Myrsky Syntynyt

Hygienic Raider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:13 pm
Rules
Settle in and get comfy. There are a lot of them, and some are different from last time.

1. Your character must be on the master member list and must have completed 5 RPs since joining the pride to challenge anyone.
If your character doesn't have that many and you still want to challenge, you'd best get cracking. They don't have to have been completed before breytast vindar began, just before they do any challenging.

2. Your character may only challenge one other character one time during this season.
If they lose, they'll have to try again next time. This is per character, not per player, by the way.

3. A character who has won a new rank through challenging may not be challenged.
There are also no challenge-backs within a season. Wait until next time.

4. A defending character can be challenged an infinite number of times, but they must take place in the order they're posted in this thread.
So if Creepy McPriestess is challenged by Hopeful McUppity, Sneaky McSeerface doesn't get to challenge until that one is over. If Hopeful McUppity wins, Sneaky McSeerface cannot challenge them, and instead has to find someone else to challenge.

5. A person must be informed that their character is being challenged.
This is why the form asks for a screenshot of a PM doing so as well as requires you to quote the owner of the challenged SoA.

6. If you do not respond to a notification of a challenge within one week, your character automatically loses.
That's why you have to start the challenge RP when you issue the challenge as well as including all those other proofs. So that I can verify that the person has indeed been informed and did not respond.

7. A character may only challenge people of certain ranks, and both lions' ranks might not change even with a victory.
  • Thralls may only challenge reavers to become freeborn. The reaver will not lose their status for losing.
  • Only reavers may challenge captains to become captains. The captain will not lose their captaincy for losing, but they may lose their authority over their particular band, depending on the terms of the challenge.
  • Only freeborn lions (including reavers and captains) may challenge lawspeakers and priestesses. The lawspeaker/priestess will lose their position.
  • Only a priestess may challenge the high priestess. The high priestess will become a priestess if she loses.
  • Only a lawspeaker may challenge the first speaker. The first speaker will become a lawspeaker if they lose.
  • Only captains may challenge the warlord. The warlord will lose his position and it is up to the captain whether or not to kill him. If the captain does not kill him, the warlord becomes merely a captain.

8. Cubs and adolescents may neither challenge nor be challenged. The same goes for non-lions.
Because there is no honor to be found in fighting the weak.

9. A thrall challenger will take a +1 to their overall roll. A non-thrall challenger receives no bonuses or handicaps.
This is different from last year and applies only to this year's breytast vindar. The only exception is if the challenger previously held the rank they're challenging for (like a lawspeaker who lost his position in the last breytast vindar), in which case there is a +1 bonus.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:14 pm
How It Works
Actually, the challenge itself works pretty much like an askorun. Each participant rolls 5d4 and the highest roll (factoring in handicaps) is the winner.

More specifically, especially for those who are not challenging for positions which can be won through violence (I'm looking at you priestesses and lawspeakers), the two participants are usually set a challenge or competition by their peers or peers-to-be which is designed to prove their worthiness. For a lawspeaker, this might mean being required to recite portions of law, or perhaps pass judgment on an imaginary trial, or recall the ancestry of a particular lion for a certain number of generations. A priestess might be required to perform a foretelling, or describe how to cast or remove a curse, or arrange a sacrifice to a particular god for a particular purpose.

If you would rather have me come up with challenges for people to do, you may forgo the rolling and the victor will be determined by whoever performs the required tasks to my satisfaction, but please let me know if that's what you want done, and keep in mind that it'll be done on my time. I'll probably send you on scavenger hunts or give you trivia games.

Myrsky Syntynyt

Hygienic Raider

Myrsky Syntynyt

Hygienic Raider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:15 pm
Questions &c

Can't my characters be immune? I'm just starting school/new job/new baby/training for a marathon!
Sorry, no. We all have personal lives. These are just pixel lions. No need to get stressed if your pixel pretty doesn't have the rank you want for a while.

But I don't want my precious Picklesnerp to lose her coveted position as a priestess! She's the bestest priestess evarrr!
Well, that's the way things go. She's welcome to try to challenge for her position the during the next breytast vindar. This isn't a one-time thing.

You mean even if Thunder-Rex Mauler got to continue captaining his band this time, there's going to be another one of these things in the future?
Yes. It gives him incentive to be a good captain.

Well, when's the next one? I'm gonna be ready!
I like your attitude! But these things have only a very general schedule and it's top secret. (Meaning I haven't really thought that far ahead). It'll be at least a year ICly though. What with this being a season and all.

Why do the challengers have handicaps?
Because we're assuming that the incumbent has had training and experience that the challenger has not. With lions who have lost their position during this season and are trying to reclaim it, the handicap is waived. If this applies to your lion, please note it when you post the form.

I thought you said anybody could challenge for any rank. Why can't my wild dog challenge the warlord?
Because the warlord would laugh at him and refuse to fight him. And even if he somehow managed to kill the warlord, no one would follow him. When we say the Stormborn is a meritocracy, that really only applies to lions.

I think this is a stupid idea that negates all my RP and utterly ruins my plots/plans/life!
I'm sorry to hear that, and while you're entitled to your opinion, I'm still going forward with the breytast vindar as planned.

Where do I post the outcome of a challenge?
Please post it in this thread, but for redundancy's sake each player whose character ended up changing ranks should also post in the rank changes thread, just to be sure I don't miss it. Also, this is where you should post your challenge form, too.

Why are the handicaps different this year?
Good question! I'm glad you asked! They're different because the Stormborn seems to have attracted a good deal of divine attention this season. Among the gods hanging around the pride (so far unbeknownst to the Stormborn, but close enough to have an effect) is the god of impermanence, whose presence makes things tend toward change. Hence, ranks are more likely to change during a breytast vindar with him around.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:16 pm
Form
If you have decided that your character is going to pit their skills against another to seek advancement in the pride, use this form and post it in this thread.

[size=17][b][color=limegreen]You keep what you kill.[/color][/b][/size]
[size=11][b]Challenger:[/b] [your lion's name], [your lion's current rank]
[b]Challenged:[/b] [name of the lion being challenged] (owner name), [that lion's rank]
[b]Required RPs:[/b] (must be with the lion challenging)
[url=]link 1[/url]
[url=]link 2[/url]
[url=]link 3[/url]
[url=]link 4[/url]
[url=]link 5[/url]
[b]Have you informed the challenged?[/b] [url=screenshot of PM]Yes[/url]/No[/size]
[b]Challenge RP:[/b] [url=]link[/url]
[quote="name of challenged lion's owner"][/quote]

Please post here using this form when you know the outcome of your challenge.

[size=17][b][color=limegreen]And the winner is...[/color][/b][/size]
[size=11][b]Challenger:[/b] [your lion's name], [your lion's new rank, even if it's the same]
[b]Challenged:[/b] [name of the lion being challenged] (owner name), [that lion's new rank, even if it's the same]
[b]Challenge RP:[/b] [url=]link[/url][/size]

Should you feel awkward PMing someone to let them know that you're challenging them, I have come up with a form letter you can use. Obviously you don't have to use it, but I sometimes find these sorts of things awkward, and maybe it'll help. I dunno.

[Name of the challenged SB's player],
This PM is to notify you that my Stormborn [rank of challenger character] [name of challenger character] has issued a challenge to your Stormborn [rank of challenged character] [name of challenged character] has in accordance with the pride's [I]breytast vindar[/I].

The link to their challenge RP is [url=link]here[/url].

Thank you for your assistance in furthering my Stormborn plots. I look forward to RPing with you!

Best wishes,
[your name here]

Myrsky Syntynyt

Hygienic Raider

Myrsky Syntynyt

Hygienic Raider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:17 pm
Challenges

in progress
finished
winner

Zjarri`fol x Svana - Warlord
Dione x Kluna - High Priestess
Vilhemas x Ali'dido - Freeborn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:10 am
You keep what you kill.
Challenger: Zjarri`fol, Captain
Challenged: Svana (Tanakako), Warlord
Required RPs:
She Will Take us Places - Pt. 2 ; Zjarri`fol x Sabia`deimos (Mysses Greenie) x Tamala (SSBrosB) x Vigge (SSBrosB)
She Will Take us Places ; Zjarri`fol x Sabia`deimos (Mysses Greenie)
Goals Fulfillment ; Zjarri Fol x Bousvor x Umiza (magnadearal & Seaki)
What have I agree to? ; Zjarri`fol x Sabia`Deimos (Mysses)
Clean Your Wounds, Back to Battle Zjarri`fol x Sabia`Deimos (Mysses) ; Fin~
Have you informed the challenged? Yes

Challenge RP: link
Tanakako

Myrsky Syntynyt
I received no response to my challenge.

Princess_Feylin

Ctrl F Greenie
Crew

Colorful Waffles

SilverLutz
Crew

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:15 am
Myrsky Syntynyt

Are we allowed to challenge NPCs? Eir would like to try her paw at challenging the First Speaker.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:39 am
SilverLutz
Myrsky Syntynyt

Are we allowed to challenge NPCs? Eir would like to try her paw at challenging the First Speaker.
Sorry, no. I really will get around to contesting that one off at some point.  

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

Epine de Rose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:21 am
You keep what you kill.
Challenger: Dione, Priestess
Challenged: Kluna (Greenie), High Priestess
Required RPs:
  • [FIN] Sibling Inspiration - Kluna x Dione
  • [FIN] Hey Fatass, Get Up! - Bjorn x Dione
  • [FIN] No Sympathy for the Weak - Bjorn x Dione
  • [FIN] Not Now. - Kluna, Dione & Tethys
  • [FIN] Seeking Council - Dione, Kluna & Zjarri
    Challenge RP: link
    Ctrl F Greenie

• PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:18 am
    Princess_Feylin
    To keep me in the right as I had wanted to challenge for Walord.

Since one rule says that a Challenger can't be rechallenged once they've won a position, does this mean that if Zjarr successfully defeats Svana then I'll have to wait for next year?

Want to keep myself right on this one which is why I'm asking what I confess might be a question with an obvious answer! n_n

Epine de Rose

ChaosTheories

Obsessive Streaker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:16 pm
    You keep what you kill.
    Challenger: Vilhelmas, Thrall
    Challenged: Ali'dido, Reaver
    Required RPs:
    link 1
    link 2
    link 3
    link 4
    link 5
    Challenge RP: RP thread (will be completed on Discord), edited in Nov.16

Ctrl F Greenie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:45 pm
    Epine de Rose
    Princess_Feylin
    To keep me in the right as I had wanted to challenge for Walord.

Since one rule says that a Challenger can't be rechallenged once they've won a position, does this mean that if Zjarr successfully defeats Svana then I'll have to wait for next year?

Want to keep myself right on this one which is why I'm asking what I confess might be a question with an obvious answer! n_n
    You are correct. But you can challenge Svana and be next in line if she beats Zjarr.  

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

Epine de Rose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 am
    Princess_Feylin
    You are correct. But you can challenge Svana and be next in line if she beats Zjarr.
    Awesome, thank you, I really appreciate it. n_n  
    [IC] Myrsky Syntynyt Lands

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas
    Virtual Spaces