Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Planning on running Tomb of Horrors 4e when it's out Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:40 pm
Until the actual campaign comes out, i can only plan and recruit, warning people to try and make specialized characters. The questions i have, however, are several

1) Who has run 3.5e's revision? And would it be fair to say that one should specialize in disabling devices and detecting traps themselves?
1a) If not, what would you recommend i tell players, as they'll be asked to be level 10 at the start of the adventure?

2) Would the Forgotten Realms and Eberron books be acceptable for this run? i'd like to give people the opportunity to pick from a few more races.

3) What's a good program for copying the maps and making ms-paint versions of them? i can't draw for crap ><  
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:58 pm
Option of 4d6 kill 1 or 5d6 kill 2
any rolls totaling less than 12 are to be rerolled

No point-buy. You're going to have to hope for high rolls.  

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:30 am
I haven't played ToH before, before I assume you can plonk it in any campaign setting. I can't help you with the maps,I use frickin' code for mine ^^

I would highly recommend allowing the players to use the point buy. 1. Because that is the standard way of generating your characters in 4th edition. 2. Because if the ToH is as hard as expected, then characters who rolled badly aren't going to have as much fun because they will die early one. I would say at least give players the choice.  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:22 am
eh, the problem is ... well, i read the 3.5 revision. you REALLY don't want any roll to be low.  

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200

NayrVentess

2,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:58 am
Wolfram Asher Davidson
eh, the problem is ... well, i read the 3.5 revision. you REALLY don't want any roll to be low.

Yeah I know thats why I'm saying rolling for ability scores is a bad idea  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:23 am
Wolfram Asher Davidson
Until the actual campaign comes out, i can only plan and recruit, warning people to try and make specialized characters. The questions i have, however, are several

1) Who has run 3.5e's revision? And would it be fair to say that one should specialize in disabling devices and detecting traps themselves?
1a) If not, what would you recommend i tell players, as they'll be asked to be level 10 at the start of the adventure?
I've never played but my understanding is that actually being spec'd to detect traps isn't as important as taking everything very slowly and doing nothing stupid or rash, which you are given many opportunities to do. Obviously being able to deal with traps specifically would be helpful, but one bad roll or one wrong move would still probably see a careless head roll. also it's the nature of 4e to have multiple answers to a given problem, so even if you don't specialize in traps, there should be things a character can do.

Quote:
2) Would the Forgotten Realms and Eberron books be acceptable for this run? i'd like to give people the opportunity to pick from a few more races.
the 4e view is that material from all setting books is open to games outside of those settings, and will be officially supported in that capacity, so yeah there wouldn't be any reason not to other than you not wanting to.

Quote:
3) What's a good program for copying the maps and making ms-paint versions of them? i can't draw for crap ><
I use GIMP, a freeware Photoshop knockoff. it's not perfect, but it does a lot. there was a thread about this a bit ago, let me look it up.
edit: this one. maptools is mentioned there and while i've seen some great looking maps come out of it, i couldn't make heads or tails of it, so YMMV.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:32 am
NayrVentess
Wolfram Asher Davidson

Yeah I know thats why I'm saying rolling for ability scores is a bad idea
and there's chances of having really good rolls. but yeah, point taken.

i may just gimp xp

if i do a point buy system, it'll be 32 points. Even that my not be enough, though xp  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:16 pm
SporkMaster5000
I've never played but my understanding is that actually being spec'd to detect traps isn't as important as taking everything very slowly and doing nothing stupid or rash, which you are given many opportunities to do.

Well, I'm out neutral  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:19 pm
Rain Yupa
SporkMaster5000
I've never played but my understanding is that actually being spec'd to detect traps isn't as important as taking everything very slowly and doing nothing stupid or rash, which you are given many opportunities to do.

Well, I'm out neutral
i'm pretty sure there are parts where even doing something obvious and logical could get you killed, so yeah, my experience with you as a player makes me believe you'd die like a dozen times over.  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:26 pm
I'm very curious about this.

...and all this stuff about chances of dying horribly make it sound like the perfect time to try playing a "pass any saving throw" type of warden.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:19 pm
If I were to play, I'd probably play a Bard with the "Student of Battle", "Initiate of the Faith", "Student of Divine Runes", and "Fervent Talent" feats. Probably "Soldier of Virtue", if I can. Otherwise, as many "Skill Power" feats for the Heal powers as I can reasonably get.

EDIT: Possibly "Spirit Talker" and "Mending Spirit" too. I just noticed Healing Spirit is encounter, not daily, in that fashion.  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:02 pm
The trick being that you need two feats to get it, and it requires a standard action to summon your Companion in order to use it fully. after all that rigamarole, being an encounter heal is the least it could do

There's the level 2 religion power for healing I know  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:02 pm
SporkMaster5000
Rain Yupa
SporkMaster5000

Well, I'm out neutral
i'm pretty sure there are parts where even doing something obvious and logical could get you killed, so yeah, my experience with you as a player makes me believe you'd die like a dozen times over.
a DOZEN???????

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!11

Wait, you're SERIOUS???  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:08 pm
Yes, he's serious.

Read this.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:20 pm
Rain Yupa
Yes, he's serious.

Read this.
no, what i was saying is he's underestimating.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff